Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

I can't find any other posts about the mighty 400

Anyway, I just had one in for some repairs.

It had leaking brake fluid from the pipes in the chassis rail, which became a complicated fix as the pipes go all the way from right near master cylinder, over diff etc to rear T pieces.

It also had a broken seat, from where the driver had been pressing the brakes so hard. because 1) he had no rear brakes AND 2) some other mechanic had used some heater hose on the booster line, which of course had sucked itself inside out.

It also had misfires and a few other problems, but nothing out the ordinary.

Anyway, fixed all that up and cleaned the car all ready for collection.

There it sat for a week until yesterday, when the owner turned up to collect.

I uncovered it, started it up, first flick of the key, all happy. We chatted for a while as it warmed up, and off he drove. I turned to begin working on another car and 1 minute later the 400 owner walked back in, carless.

He'd got precisely 30 meters before it broke down!

he said it just stopped, and won't crank over. So I walk with him back to the car, and I try it. it starts up perfectly instantly! he looks at me with a face like a dog that just shit on the carpet, but to appease him, I shut the car off, and sure enough, it wont re-start.....

It turned out the cold weather (probably) had made the battery die. It had had no symptom of flat battery prior, and I'd not used a charger or jump pack or anything during it's entire visit.

So I changed the battery, during which the terminal sheared off.....

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my new record for reliability, and latest reason for deteriorating sanity.

a 400i can be sure to get 25meters without trouble... but 30m is pushing it. :tilt:

That said, it was a 400i Auto, the most often sneered at model, but I will happily say it drives superbly (most of the time) and even looks very smart in it's blue chiaro with grey interior....

Great cars at bargain prices.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
there was a decent review of these cars in a recent Australian Classic Car magazine - ??Feb 2011 issue I think - they compared the 400i vs the M635CSI vs the 928S.
One of the few "family friendly" Ferraris.  :thumbsup:
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
there was a decent review of these cars in a recent Australian Classic Car magazine - ??Feb 2011 issue I think - they compared the 400i vs the M635CSI vs the 928S.
One of the few "family friendly" Ferraris.  :thumbsup:
Not what id call an ideal comparo...

The 400 is a like an old lounge chair youre too scared to drive in case it breaks down and costs you a fortune.
The 635 is a collectors item you wouldnt want to drive too much and wear it out.
The 928 is probably the nicest, genuine hi performance sports cruiser ever built and over decade ahead of its time.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Not what id call an ideal comparo...

The 400 is a like an old lounge chair youre too scared to drive in case it breaks down and costs you a fortune.
The 635 is a collectors item you wouldnt want to drive too much and wear it out.
The 928 is probably the nicest, genuine hi performance sports cruiser ever built and over decade ahead of its time.
Agreed about the comparo - they chose the 928 too out of the 3! I actually ended up buying the very same M635CSI featured!
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Actually, it's VERY rare for a 400 to properly break down, as in, leave you stranded. But it's the general running ocsts that are high though.

Journo's are mostly wankers, and they don't get to drive many examples of a model, and those they do drive are mostly not prepped properly.

This one came in driving like an old lounge chair shitbox, but after a wheel alignemnt and general sort out, it was a transformed car.

The owner, who's had it 20 years, barely recognised it.

Which is very satisfying for me, but highlights the typical false 1st impression people get when trying supercars.

They need to be fettled and optimised, before being judged, and rarely get to be.