Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Its a shit feeling watching your car burn :( One of my cars caught on fire, luckily it was only the engine bay and was put out.
Thanks for the memories. This was my brush with a fire. Minimal damage as we got the fire out quick.

Offline ACP

• Lives in a Metro Tangerine

• Drives: McLaren
Shit Al that is brutal mate!

Glad everyone is OK!!!! Bet you were shitting yourself!

Offline My Rotarys

• Drives: 1000
Thanks for the memories. This was my brush with a fire. Minimal damage as we got the fire out quick.

Good to hear you got onto it quickly :) Mine wasnt that quick but still happy whole car didnt go down,

Offline dkabab

To quote an old wise man.... I'd rather a new 458 if mine caught fire, than a repaired burnt model...

Offline tasgirevik

• Drives: classic 911 = DD
A most unfortunate incident ; I prefer to think of things happening for a reason , not "accident".

Glad no-one lost a bollock! A damn close shave by all accounts.

I have two observations/questions:

1. Will you be taking the vehicle back to that mechanic?

2. Are you someone who takes an intrinsic (obsessional) interest in the workings of your cars , or do you leave it up to the "experts"? In my experience , serious problems are largely mechanical , and mechanical means you can see and touch and troubleshoot in a most logical fashion. For example , anyone who doesn't check the torque of their wheelnuts after tyre/suspension work is a fool.

My attitude to cars is "what can possibly go wrong? and "what have I done to prevent an incident"?

"Adventures" after dark , in pouring rain or in remote areas are not my bag , baby.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
If it was just a minor service I don't think anything they did to it would have caused the fire, unless a rag or something was left in it???? We may never know...
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
A most unfortunate incident ; I prefer to think of things happening for a reason , not "accident".

Glad no-one lost a bollock! A damn close shave by all accounts.

I have two observations/questions:

1. Will you be taking the vehicle back to that mechanic?

2. Are you someone who takes an intrinsic (obsessional) interest in the workings of your cars , or do you leave it up to the "experts"? In my experience , serious problems are largely mechanical , and mechanical means you can see and touch and troubleshoot in a most logical fashion. For example , anyone who doesn't check the torque of their wheelnuts after tyre/suspension work is a fool.

My attitude to cars is "what can possibly go wrong? and "what have I done to prevent an incident"?

"Adventures" after dark , in pouring rain or in remote areas are not my bag , baby.

I've got quite a few cars. I'm a car nut.

I wouldn't have previously checked the torque of my wheelnuts previously, but now after an incident I do. That being said, it's mainly because I could buy a cool tool and I get to look technical when it's calibrated once a year. There's a big difference between this and something truly mechanical.

For this one - the car is pretty much dust, there's nothing to take back to anyone. Is there anything that could have been better checked ... doubtful. Phil has an idea of what it was, however I don't think it's common knowledge what to check, or how (even though Phil's described one instance).

So, I don't think there's anything else that could have been reasonably done from my perspective. I do put a level of trust in the guys you call "experts" - it's their job ... and for me to assume I'd be able to do better would be pretty arrogant.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
I am sorry to hear about your pride 355 mate ..... But glad that your brother is fine and a clever one too ....
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

:doh:  Uberdude......................thats very uncool!

No, seriously.............very sorry about your loss but there is a nice blue stripey Porsche just waiting to replace it! Glad to hear everyone was OK and looking forward to the next edition of "Uber Garage - the musical"

Best
Grant
Always Gunna

Offline WRS

• Drives: Fireblade
  • Name: Wally
That pic still makes me weep, 355 is a beautiful car. Although it was more that just a burnt wreck picture that caused me tears.
WRS
Wallace Risk Solutions Pty Ltd
Prestige Motor Insurance
www.wallacerisksolutions.com.au