Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
How do they work, and how accurate?
Do they give a reading before start up only, or all the time? And have you compared reading to actual measured?

all 911's have an inbuilt gauge that needs the engine running to see the level, in the 3 years I've had my 997.2 I have only checked the level once and it was within its parameters.

575 didn't use any oil, 360ch doesn't use oil, upon checking the 430 its level doesn't move.

And we change oil on a regular basis.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u ďmagicallyĒ have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How do they work, and how accurate?
Do they give a reading before start up only, or all the time? And have you compared reading to actual measured?

As goober says, the 911 allows a reading on the fly. I checked mine at 200km/h on the weekend. :) I assume it is accurate but with no other gauge that I'm aware of, I can't be sure. It's calibrated - and after a days solid driving, you can see the level has fallen. (Yes, Porsches burn oil too).

The Mac requires the car to be stationary and has a setting that holds the revs just so to allow the reading.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
all 911's have an inbuilt gauge that needs the engine running to see the level, in the 3 years I've had my 997.2 I have only checked the level once and it was within its parameters.

575 didn't use any oil, 360ch doesn't use oil, upon checking the 430 its level doesn't move.

And we change oil on a regular basis.

I didnít realise it was the same procedure for water cooled 911ís and always figured it was an air cooled thing. I guess it makes sense since itís still a horizontally opposed dry sump.

The oil gauge on the 911 is useless 99.9% of the time and the dipstick is the most reliable way to check the oil.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
As goober says, the 911 allows a reading on the fly. I checked mine at 200km/h on the weekend. :) I assume it is accurate but with no other gauge that I'm aware of, I can't be sure. It's calibrated - and after a days solid driving, you can see the level has fallen. (Yes, Porsches burn oil too).

Mark
Iím not sure how accurate it would be at 200km/h.

Here is process for 911's Ė not sure if it applied to 991s to be honest.
1.   The car must be at running temperature
2.   With the engine hot let it idle for 60 seconds
3.   The gauge now provide you with a reading

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Mark
Iím not sure how accurate it would be at 200km/h.

Here is process for 911's Ė not sure if it applied to 991s to be honest.
1.   The car must be at running temperature
2.   With the engine hot let it idle for 60 seconds
3.   The gauge now provide you with a reading

It gives the same reading stationary or moving on the 991.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I checked mine at 200km/h on the weekend. :)

For how long did you maintain that speed ? and what would happen if a camel or whatever wandered onto the road ahead of you or is the road that straight and the terrain that flat that you can see far enough ahead to take action ?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

For how long did you maintain that speed ? and what would happen if a camel or whatever wandered onto the road ahead of you or is the road that straight and the terrain that flat that you can see far enough ahead to take action ?

I held the speed for 10 minutes or so, then I slowed back down to my cruising speed of 180km/h.

The road was cleared 100 metres either side. Otherwise I woudn't do it.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I held the speed for 10 minutes or so, then I slowed back down to my cruising speed of 180km/h.

The road was cleared 100 metres either side. Otherwise I woudn't do it.

Ok often wondered about that and you did see someone who didn't quite make it...I did 200kph on the way to Adelaide once.............reckless days but the road is so flat and straight. Wouldn't try it again though.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Ok often wondered about that and you did see someone who didn't quite make it...I did 200kph on the way to Adelaide once.............reckless days but the road is so flat and straight. Wouldn't try it again though.

You'd have nanna honking at you to get out the way in Europe.

Here, driving standards are abysmal. At 5.30 tonight it was nearly dark, slamming with rain, windy as hell.... And some idiot in a one tonne Ute is barelling along the freeway with no lights on and driving aggressively up behind people.

I'd moved into his lane to pass another car before I saw him in the murk of spray and twilight. It took a few km of flashing hazards and brake lights before he turned his lights on.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

You'd have nanna honking at you to get out the way in Europe.

Here, driving standards are abysmal. At 5.30 tonight it was nearly dark, slamming with rain, windy as hell.... And some idiot in a one tonne Ute is barelling along the freeway with no lights on and driving aggressively up behind people.

I'd moved into his lane to pass another car before I saw him in the murk of spray and twilight. It took a few km of flashing hazards and brake lights before he turned his lights on.

I think half the drivers in Vic are on Ice.

Was strange back in the day when driving to Adelaide I'd never seen a road so straight , was cruising on 160-180 then thought I'd hit 200 just for the heck of it. Mercedes 280SE  :D Damn fine automobile.

Pulled into a servo in Adelaide and didn't have reverse, though I'd be up for a load of $ but the guy in the workshop I went to fixed it in 5 minutes.