Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

the front ones definitely do. surely you'd have checked it for yourself when you serviced it, right? it's not like they've STOPPED rattling....they've never done it.

i used to have rattles from the twin springs though, which i don't have now that i've installed the progressive single spring jobbies. maybe that's what your client's hearing. he's never tried the single softer springs to compare.

err, yeah, sure I did... 5 years ago !

This car has twin springs and doesn't rattle from there at all, or at least not when I've driven it.

The pad chatter comes without any suspension movement.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
err, yeah, sure I did... 5 years ago !

right....that's what i'm getting at. nothing changed since then. they still spin easily and neither before then NOR since then have i had the pad rattle.

This car has twin springs and doesn't rattle from there at all, or at least not when I've driven it.

interesting.....mine only rattled WITH the twin springs.

The pad chatter comes without any suspension movement.

clearly that could only be when you're stationary then, as any time the car's moving on the road the light keeper springs are always moving and having a little rattle as they collapse on themselves.

that's my experience with my car, anyway.

• Soap Dodger

Nope. The keeper springs are fully compressed and coil bound almost all the time, unless extreme movement. Sustained extension... extended cornering, etc

The rattle you hear from twin springs is the collar between them touching the spring edges things. It seems to be just luck as to whether they rattle or not. I've fitted up many sets, some do, some don't.

While crusing along a dead smooth road (yes, there are some), you can hear the brake pads chatter... very light pressure on the pedal stops it instantly. it's very easy to diagnose.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter

Nope. The keeper springs are fully compressed and coil bound almost all the time, unless extreme movement. Sustained extension... extended cornering, etc

The rattle you hear from twin springs is the collar between them touching the spring edges things. It seems to be just luck as to whether they rattle or not. I've fitted up many sets, some do, some don't.

While crusing along a dead smooth road (yes, there are some), you can hear the brake pads chatter... very light pressure on the pedal stops it instantly. it's very easy to diagnose.

ok...fair enough. so i'm unlucky with the springs but lucky with the pads.

so yella and sd were happy to eliminate their pad rattle, and i was happy to eliminate my spring rattle....which means everyone's happy.

what a happy happy world it is.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter

oh...maybe my keepers are harder, but they're definitely not coil bound with just the weight of the car (on the front...and that's where the rattle came from)

*shrug*

doesn't matter anyway.

• Soap Dodger

ok...fair enough. so i'm unlucky with the springs but lucky with the pads.

so yella and sd were happy to eliminate their pad rattle, and i was happy to eliminate my spring rattle....which means everyone's happy.

what a happy happy world it is.

• Soap Dodger

oh...maybe my keepers are harder, but they're definitely not coil bound with just the weight of the car (on the front...and that's where the rattle came from)

*shrug*

doesn't matter anyway.

Each corner has about 300 kg on it... thats 660 lbs....

Your keepers are very short and nowhere near that rate... They are coil bound at ride height. Extended on droop.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter

Each corner has about 300 kg on it... thats 660 lbs....

Your keepers are very short and nowhere near that rate... They are coil bound at ride height. Extended on droop.

well...i'm not convinced.....i'll double check.....but i'm usually right about my car...never the less they are constantly moving up and down on a smoothish road...that's when you get the rattles...one thing for sure, the main springs are doing bugger all! they're 1300-1800lb+!! so all the small movements you get in a car while driving along a normal road extends and compresses the keeper. and every time it compresses, it goes clunk. hence, one spring, no more rattles.

Offline Kelsa

• Token Asian Guy
  • Crazy Chinaman @ Work

the brakes mainly... which is precisely where this guy was let down by the service he had elsewhere...

but ALL the bits a 355C has that normal 355's don't are special, meaning that extra knowledge is required to check and maintain them correctly.

The brakes are racing brakes... they need different maintenance than road brakes. There are no dust seas, the materials are less tolerant of dirt and grime. The heat managment is more important etc etc...

Why you ask?

I just wondered if they used different material for what bits and peices, as 360CS was different to a normal 360 (carbon interior, slightly different body shape, tweaked engine etc etc), i didn't know what was the main difference between a 355 and a 355CH

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter

I just wondered if they used different material for what bits and peices, as 360CS was different to a normal 360 (carbon interior, slightly different body shape, tweaked engine etc etc), i didn't know what was the main difference between a 355 and a 355CH

i'll show you the book of differences. it's quite detailed.

oh wait.........buy your own.