Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion
  • How the moustache was invented.....go the growl!

• Drives: 1988 Testarossa, 1974 DeTomaso Pantera, 1956 T-Bird convertible.
  • Name: Rob Hayden
Well today was an interesting day. A mate has this great electronic gizmo and we fitted it up to the Testa then went out for a run. First tried it on the drivers side exhaust, so I have to imagine that is the left side of the engine the way the pipes cross over. Someone here might be able to confirm that.

Instantly it was obvious that the car is WAY too lean. We took it out into the traffic and finally got it onto the freeway where I could maintain some even cruise to replicate this spasmodic jerking that it's been doing for over a year now.

The car runs worst at 106km/ph in fifth. It's at around 2600 rpm here and it will just start jerking violently until it shakes the car apart or you power on and drive through it. Mixture was at 19.68 when it started jumping around. Stab the throttle and it went to 18.5 and the jerking goes away. Wide open throttle was 15.8, but generally it was between 18 and 21 all the time.

We then stopped and changed over the lambda sensor to the other exhaust, which I presume is the drivers side of the engine. Even worse. 22's most of the time at 20.5 when the jerking started at 106 km/ph.

No matter how hard I drove it, I couldn't get into the 14's. 15.7 was the lowest I saw and that was giving it hell in second gear. Idle mixtures seemd better at 15.8 or so, but as soon as I get moving it just isn't getting any fuel at all. Geez, no wonder I'm getting 25 mpg out of it.

So, I've been told time and time again to get it on a dyno with an analyser up it's arse to see what's happening, so now I've gone one better and done some actual road miles. Nest thing I suppose is to try and tune some fuel into her??

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
What were the hydrocarbons like?

is it actually too lean, or simply not burning the fuel? You need more than air/fuel or lambda to diagnose really accurately. 4 gas is best.

Adjusting the mixtures is easy.... just gotta turn a screw in the metering head...

But, whats the cold start warm up like?

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion

But, whats the cold start warm up like?

What's that? Since you tuned it, it starts perfectly and never hunts at all. Just sits there and idles perfectly. Even if it hasn't been started for two weeks.

• Soap Dodger

What's that? Since you tuned it, it starts perfectly and never hunts at all. Just sits there and idles perfectly. Even if it hasn't been started for two weeks.

So, tune it over rich at idle and cold warm up again!

The little black interossiter boxes need some more jingle juice.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
hmmmm...sounds like a good way to destroy an engine.

don't worry about what the dill says....it's too lean.....he just happens to own a multi gas analyzer (which is slow to react and a waste of time....but because he has one, nothing else will do, of course)

transparent!!

I love my car. Buy your own

• Soap Dodger

hmmmm...sounds like a good way to destroy an engine.FALSE

don't worry about what the dill says....it's too lean.....he just happens to own a multi gas analyzer .TRUE(which is slow to react .TRUEand a waste of time..FALSE...but because he has one, nothing else will do, of course.FALSE)

transparent!!.FALSE

Offline uzz32soarer

• Moustache Champion

Well I checked out all sorts of things today and I can't get it below 19 on cruise. It's just SO lean and there really isn't any way to richen it. The screws in the fuel distribution heaads only adjust idle mixtures, the rest is done by the ECU's based on sensor feeds.

There was a vacuum hose off the ignition module, but replacing it actually made it worse, so for now I've left it off.

Not sure where to go next.

• Soap Dodger

Well I checked out all sorts of things today and I can't get it below 19 on cruise. It's just SO lean and there really isn't any way to richen it. The screws in the fuel distribution heaads only adjust idle mixtures, the rest is done by the ECU's based on sensor feeds.

There was a vacuum hose off the ignition module, but replacing it actually made it worse, so for now I've left it off.

Not sure where to go next.

err, without being too innuendoey.... how far in did you stick it?

You gotta get it right up into the air stream, as deep inside as possible. The last foot or so of pipe work get air reversion at low throttle openings... and you could be sniffing atmosphere..

push it in deep and hard....... :cool:

Did cranking it richer make it any better with regard to the problem?

• Soap Dodger

there really isn't any way to richen it. The screws in the fuel distribution heaads only adjust idle mixtures, the rest is done by the ECU's based on sensor feeds.

Nope....

the screws adjust the position of the air flap in relation to the control plunger.

For any given air flow, the plunger is effectively adjusted to give greater or less fuel flow.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter

good to know that according to phil, running a testa at 15.8:1 at WOT wont destroy and engine. mind you, anyone else would think it would.

why do people waste any money on engineering when they can just ask phil?

I love my car. Buy your own