Offline eewink

• Drives: Holden
I'm infatuated with the 599 now! Having previously vowed only German cars - this is an awesome looking Fezza!!!  :worship: :worship: :lovies: :lovies: :lovies:

Hmmm - wonder what SWMBO will say to this???  :scratchchin: :melting:

The 599 is a great car. Awesome Enzo engine sound.

Very cheap to maintain. Just collected the car today from its yearly service $1,200 only.

I did 4015 km of mixed city highway driving and incurred only 5.29% of clutch wear. That means that the clutch wear is about 1% per 750 km. That's very very very good and that is with the standard organic facing clutch. Replace it with the Kevlar pegaclutch and you can be brutal to the clutch as much as you like.

If you want extended warranty from National Warranty Australia its only $5,000 for 10 years. That covers you up to a value of $10,000 per claim. Unlimited number of claims per year. The engine and tranny are pretty bullet proof so $10,000 per claim is more than adequate.

Man I sound like a salesman.

There is a 599 at Adelaide BMW at the moment. Black 6000k only 2007. Very cheap - $240,000. Eventhough its is sold to a dealer interstate the car is still here. Make an offer to the dealer which bought it. They will be happy to sell it while it is here in Adelaide.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

No argument there.   :thumbsup:

Better ownership experience than the F430?  I'm wondering if the F12 would be a worthwhile move after the 458 and figure you have already done the V8 >V12 upgrade so would be a good guy to ask.   Thoughts?

Offline mtarone

Very cheap to maintain. Just collected the car today from its yearly service $1,200 only.

I did 4015 km of mixed city highway driving and incurred only 5.29% of clutch wear. That means that the clutch wear is about 1% per 750 km. That's very very very good and that is with the standard organic facing clutch. Replace it with the Kevlar pegaclutch and you can be brutal to the clutch as much as you like.

If you want extended warranty from National Warranty Australia its only $5,000 for 10 years. That covers you up to a value of $10,000 per claim. Unlimited number of claims per year. The engine and tranny are pretty bullet proof so $10,000 per claim is more than adequate.

There is a 599 at Adelaide BMW at the moment. Black 6000k only 2007. Very cheap - $240,000. Eventhough its is sold to a dealer interstate the car is still here. Make an offer to the dealer which bought it. They will be happy to sell it while it is here in Adelaide.

Wow those costs are quite reasonable, I was quoted something like $6k for an extended warranty on the 1M!!

Alvin, seems to me you need to do this. Trade in the Porsche and get a 599  :thumbsup:

Your only problem will be what to drive when you walk into the Garage. :faint:

Offline eewink

No argument there.   :thumbsup:

Better ownership experience than the F430?  I'm wondering if the F12 would be a worthwhile move after the 458 and figure you have already done the V8 >V12 upgrade so would be a good guy to ask.   Thoughts?

With the V12 I find that I have to really be conscious about how much throttle I give. That is soooooooo much torque you can easily lose control in 2nd gear. So it has been a steep learning curve for me. Even with the larger 305 mm tires at the rear can step out. I find that if I warm up the tires first after 10 km of driving there are no issues. The engine is rated at 620 hp but after modifying the exhaust (stock exhausts but the exhaust valve flaps can be made to open with a switch) and putting in BMS high flow air filters in it there is a noticeable power increase. Like Chris Harris said he cannot even use 8/10 of the power of the car. There is so much power on demand at your fingertips.

The weight balance is almost 50:50 so you don't feel a great big weight at the front which was a surprise. I can throw it around corners the same way as the F430.

Offline eewink

The clearance is about an inch higher than the F430. Easier to get in and out. The 599 has a shorter overhang which is great so as to not scrape off the nose so together with the higher ride height is more practical.

I notice a little more body roll I guess with the higher ride height. However that is easily fixed with a stiffer swaybar from H&R which are very affordable and easy to install. http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/front-24mm-sway-ferrari-p-58594.html#/2007_Ferrari_599_suspension-sway-bars-c-4208_4212.html?&c8=927&c9=7755

The HGTE and GTO have these thicker and stiffer sway bars for reduced body roll.

The steering is very light and you can read the road surface like braille. 

Tires are 245/35 front so it tramlines a little more than the F430 225/35 ( or 235/35 of the Scuderia). The Pzeros are a soft compound and when warm will progressively tramline less.
305/35 rear

Cost for the Pzeros is about $3,000 from a Ferrariclub member who deals in tires. Can get it for $2400 from tirerack landed and after import duties and GST.

Offline eewink

There is always a particular model of Ferrari which really captures ones heart and takes your breath away. For me the best shape design bodyline whatever Ferrari is the 430 Scuderia. Maybe I might get this one as well and keep it.

With the 430 it is a work of art. You can see the engine in all its glory from the glass bonnet. It is as it they built the car around the engine and they made the engine look so good. The engine which was the business was on display for the whole world to see. That is what I miss.  :( You can't see the V12. Maybe they can make a transparent front bonnet  :D

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks

wow! That's actually very reasonable!

That 599 at Adl BMW is one of the CJR fleet isn't it?
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline eewink

wow! That's actually very reasonable!

That 599 at Adl BMW is one of the CJR fleet isn't it?

Yea it is sold for $240,000 to another interstate dealer but make an offer to that dealer ( I don't know who it is) before the car is shipped out. Maybe $10,000 more. Even if it is $250,000 that is the cheapest 599 on the market and way way lower than what I paid for mine. Prices have really dropped.

Offline alvchua

Wow those costs are quite reasonable, I was quoted something like $6k for an extended warranty on the 1M!!

Alvin, seems to me you need to do this. Trade in the Porsche and get a 599  :thumbsup:

Your only problem will be what to drive when you walk into the Garage. :faint:

LOL  - in my dreams..... all depends how things go Tues and then what happens after........ (Have to get out of doghouse first! )

and as for some classic BMWs on the market - fairly unlikely - most except 2 are "collectables" to this hoarder! :-)

Offline alvchua

Yea it is sold for $240,000 but make an offer. Maybe $10,000 more. Even if it is $250,000 that is the cheapest 599 on the market and way way lower than what I paid for mine. Prices have really dropped.

:scratchchin: - will have to take it one baby step at a time with this one! But boy it is a good looking car! As for black.... I did swear never to buy another black car - famous last words!  :eek: