Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Did you have a look at the Capristo Stage 3 with remote?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I don't want to be a wet blanket but the Maximum limit is 90dB, period, for cars built after 1983.

Cops are starting to get wise to this, even for Exotics, there was a bulletin that came out last year about this.
Anyway, it's not the cops you need to be worried about, it's the EPA and they are cracking down heavily.

And it is also totally illegal to have any device in the system that can change the exhaust noise level.

The fines are upto 240 penalty units, or over $240,000. Not that I have heard anyone being hit with fines like this but I do know some who have been hit with fines of around $5000.

I am just saying, that’s all……….

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Oops, sorry, got a bit carried away with the zeros.

It should be "over $24,000" and "fines around the $500."

:o

Offline Paulstar

Anyway, it's not the cops you need to be worried about, it's the EPA and they are cracking down heavily.

+1

I don't know where Vega is located but in Sydney if the EPA get you its a minimum $250 fine and an inspection of your exhaust and under the bonnet + DB measuring by appointment only at the EPA premises. The EPA know all the tricks and actively look for them when you come in.

Having said that, in the 2 years I spent on P plates driving blinged up 'ricers' I only copped 1 EPA defect.

@ Vegas - does your new exhaust include catalytic convertors?

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
And it is also totally illegal to have any manually operated device in the system that can change the exhaust noise level.
Fixed that for you.  :thumbsup:

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

Ferrari needs the Underground carpark to set off car allarms. A lambo does it in the open air  :D
Lol I was thinking the same thing:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I14gCpGeGc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I14gCpGeGc</a>

I don't want to be a wet blanket but the Maximum limit is 90dB, period, for cars built after 1983.
I wish people would actually adhere to that, there are way to many OHOSs tearing down random streets all over Sydney, some are just annoying, but many exhausts actually hurt the ears  :irked:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Fixed that for you.  :thumbsup:

Dunno about that.........from the EPA doco.....

It is an offence to own or use a vehicle fitted with a
temporary defeat device, inlet port restrictor,
exhaust port restrictor or temporary noise reduction
device. These devices, when fitted to the exhaust
system, can temporarily and easily change or vary
the level of noise emitted from the exhaust.
Examples include variable exhaust restrictors, cutouts,
bypasses, adjustable/variable/sliding
openings on mufflers, restrictive or temporary insert
plates and steel wool.

I believe that if the car was fitted with a device from new and was approved then no problems but modifying the system is a totally different thing.

Source????

Offline vegas

• It puts the lotion on its skinor it gets the hose

• Drives: Ferrari
+1

I don't know where Vega is located but in Sydney if the EPA get you its a minimum $250 fine and an inspection of your exhaust and under the bonnet + DB measuring by appointment only at the EPA premises. The EPA know all the tricks and actively look for them when you come in.

Having said that, in the 2 years I spent on P plates driving blinged up 'ricers' I only copped 1 EPA defect.

@ Vegas - does your new exhaust include catalytic convertors?

Yes the system plugs into the original cats.
It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again.

Offline vegas

These aren't a temporary defeat devices by definition, it can be argued that they are actually a system- more restricted than standard.
The original Ferrari system opens the exhaust valves about 4000 RMP, these are operated by the TCU. The system I'm fitting (and other systems with valves),  actually doesn't allow the  valves to be opened by the TCU and keeps the noise level quieter than the original system - above  4000 RPM. Unless of course it is activated - which would only be done on track days etc

Some non-valved after market systems dispense with the valve system altogether - hence they are louder than standard system - all the time. They could be defined as a permanent defeat system.

Where aftermarket systems can breach EPA and other tossers like that, is the noise level - which varies state to state.
If for example, a person with a valved system was pulled over - and there was no remote activating device (FOB) to be found (or it was hidden on the body of the driver - noting the EPA don't have powers of search for people in these situations - but the police do),  it could easily be argued that the system was a permanently restricted system, more so than the original system that opens the valves after 4000 RPM.
 This couldn't be argued if the system was hard wired to a switch in the cabin. Of course if that switch doesn't work (or stopped working as a wire fell off - about the time you were pulled over) and the system was permanently restricted - you would be below the noise level and not have a temporary  defeat device - it would be permanently restricted.  I think most courts would take notice of this and it could be strongly contested.
I think it just an academic point though, I think if you drive your exotic quietly around residential areas and niosey in more remote places - I think you would be very very unlucky to be breached regardless of what system you had.

Offline vegas

Lol I was thinking the same thing:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I14gCpGeGc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I14gCpGeGc</a>
I wish people would actually adhere to that, there are way to many OHOSs tearing down random streets all over Sydney, some are just annoying, but many exhausts actually hurt the ears  :irked:

I agree - that car alarm was very annoying :)