Offline HWHL

Our son was on a school camp this week so the GLW and i packed a small case put it in the car and went for a drive.
We had never been to Bathurst so we thought that would be a good place to start, from there down to Merimbula, then back over the mountains to Beechworth then home.
Melbourne to Bathurst was a pretty good drive mostly freeway though, and doing a few laps of the track was great, the tv really does not do the elevation changes justice.
Bathurst to Oberon was an ok drive there were some roadworks which bunched all of the traffic up, but once there we decided to go and have a look at the Jenolan caves, the roads on the way there were worth the trip without the cave tour, the last 7klm, there had to be at least 8 x 15klmhr switchbacks all going down a pretty steep hill, then coming back to Oberon was fantastic.
From Oberon to Braidwood through Goulburn a few more roadworks but generally ok.
The road from Braidwood to Batemans Bay, I would drive back up here to do again, that was awesome, a great mixture of flowing corners and some tighter stuff and no traffic. I really leant a few things about my car on that piece of road, the way it steers, handles and responds to a constant pedal. (First car with a mid mount engine).
Batemans Bay to Merrimbula was a lot slower with a lot of grey nomads getting their vans and campers into place, we took the scenic route which was great, even did the tourist drives coming down the coast.
Some parts from  were like going back in time with single lane bridges, I haven't seen any of them

We left Merimbula yesterday morning around 9.30, and went to Bega, then out to Jindabyne, great run, open roads, very barren place, compared to Bathurst to Batemans Bay.
From Jindabyne to Khancoban, this would have to be one of the best roads to drive through at this time of year, over 130klm's with speed limits between 60-100 klmhr. Lisa said at the end of it that we need to go back and do it again soon, corner after corner after corner, very little traffic, awesome scenery, and had lunch at Thredbo.
I wouldn't do it in winter though, ice and snow would not be fun for that sort of driving.
From there we went back through Beechworth, Mansfield, Bonnie Doon, then back to Melbourne.
All up a great 2200 klms over 4 days.
The best part of the drive was Jindabyne to Khancoban followed by Braidwood to Batemans Bay.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline HWHL

Offline HWHL

And this one from just out of Thredbo
No cracks about the music it was Lisa's turn with her iPod lol
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZKeKsn3yM

Offline HWHL

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Makes you wonder what it would b like if they turned Bathurst into a paid track like...  The ring.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline HWHL

Makes you wonder what it would b like if they turned Bathurst into a paid track like...  The ring.

Now that would be awesome

Offline Cuso

Mt Panorama is an eye opener in the flesh. Next time add an early morning walk of the track to your itinerary, well worth it!

Braidwood to Batemans Bay is AWESOME! We drive that just to go to the beach on a weekend (closest one to CBR)

Drive sounded brilliant!

Offline 98octane

Some of those roads sound great. I'll have to check them out soon. Thanks for posting.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Great Run.

Bathurst is a great place.

The incline of the cutting, the dipper, the esses and forest elbow is intimidating.
I was at the end of the fence at Forest Elbow in November many years back and someone came into the elbow running along the outside wall at great speed. That was the end of his race.

See any bears in the woods with picnic sets? They tend to ruin a great day out.

We need other forum members to post any great drives they do.

I want to do a south-east Queeensland run in late January. Going north, up to Yarraman via ESK then come back and enjoy the Blackbutt ranges going down and then through Kilcoy to Woodford, Beerwah, Landsborough then Malaney.

The route may change and I will post the results once done.