Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Some of you might be wondering why myfazzman has the hots for me. Well, this is the thread that started it.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/australia/342244-ferrari-308-328-qvs-great-value.html

The way he reacted, most of which was deleted before he was banned, it was like I killed his nanna!

All I said was that a good 308QV can be bought for $50k

So, that got me thinking......what makes a "good" second hand Ferrari?

Here are my thoughts, open for discussion, as always.

First, no rust! Just about everything else can be fixed cheaply and easily enough and on budget except that.

Usually, I'd have to say IMO, Aussie spec. That's not only because it's easier to know the legitimate history of the car, but also because, further down the track, they're much MUCH easier to sell. Of course, that doesn't mean there's no such thing as a good non Aussie spec car...I've had a few myself.

Paint would have to be in good nick, either in relation to its age and has been looked after, or otherwise had a nice new respray at some point with verifiable quality.

The interior. Again, like with the paint, unless it's been restored there will be wear and tear. It's not hard to pick a car that's been loved and cared for compared to a car that's been mistreated.

IMO, the interior and paint are a snapshot to how the car's been looked after over its life.

How often have we seen similar year cars with similar km showing massive differences in wear and tear?? Despite having fully stamped books!! Given some time, you just learn to pick that stuff.

As far as service history is concerned, I'm a little less fussed. Obviously you'd be silly to buy a car without getting a PPI done by a reputable mechanic. If it checks out mechanically, then don't worry if the stamps aren't in all the right places.....similarly, don't be surprised if it's mechanically rooted, even if the history seems perfect.

Has the car had a recent belt change? Have the valve clearances been done recently? These are questions a Ferrari buyer always seems to ask. Well, here's what *I* do....I buy the car and I get the mechanic I trust to do a belt change and full service as well as valve clearances (if applicable) because there are some really dumb mechanics out there and I'd rather pay a few bucks to make sure I know that everything is done exactly right.

So....going on that criteria, I still maintain that you can buy a good 308QV for $50k.

That does NOT, of course, mean that EVERY 308QV is worth $50k. For example, Horse's 308QV is a multiple concours winner, track day winner and a genuine car that's been in the family since new and, of course, is Aussie spec. Apart from that, the colour is sensational.

I don't call that a good QV though....I call that exceptional.

myfazzman acted like I said his car is worth $50k, which I did not. I don't know his car, even though I've seen it. It might be worth more...it might be worth less...but boy, he sure over reacted!

Anyway, does anyone have any extra or different criteria for a "good" used Ferrari?

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
what makes a "good" second hand Ferrari?

Here are my thoughts, open for discussion, as always.

First, no rust! Just about everything else can be fixed cheaply and easily enough and on budget except that.

Usually, I'd have to say IMO, Aussie spec. That's not only because it's easier to know the legitimate history of the car, but also because, further down the track, they're much MUCH easier to sell. Of course, that doesn't mean there's no such thing as a good non Aussie spec car...I've had a few myself.

Paint would have to be in good nick, either in relation to its age and has been looked after, or otherwise had a nice new respray at some point with verifiable quality.

The interior. Again, like with the paint, unless it's been restored there will be wear and tear. It's not hard to pick a car that's been loved and cared for compared to a car that's been mistreated.

IMO, the interior and paint are a snapshot to how the car's been looked after over its life.

How often have we seen similar year cars with similar km showing massive differences in wear and tear?? Despite having fully stamped books!! Given some time, you just learn to pick that stuff.

As far as service history is concerned, I'm a little less fussed. Obviously you'd be silly to buy a car without getting a PPI done by a reputable mechanic. If it checks out mechanically, then don't worry if the stamps aren't in all the right places.....similarly, don't be surprised if it's mechanically rooted, even if the history seems perfect.

Has the car had a recent belt change? Have the valve clearances been done recently? These are questions a Ferrari buyer always seems to ask. Well, here's what *I* do....I buy the car and I get the mechanic I trust to do a belt change and full service as well as valve clearances,  I'd rather pay a few bucks to make sure I know that everything is done exactly right.

So....going on that criteria, you can buy a good 308QV for $50k.

That does NOT, of course, mean that EVERY 308QV is worth $50k. For example, Horse's 308QV is a multiple concours winner, track day winner and a genuine car that's been in the family since new and, of course, is Aussie spec. Apart from that, the colour is sensational.

Anyway, does anyone have any extra or different criteria for a "good" used Ferrari?
Fixed, i think thats a very constructive and positive post! ;) perhaps a mention for other hidden items to check for like sodium valves.

Offline Aircon

Fixed, i think thats a very constructive and positive post! ;) perhaps a mention for other hidden items to check for like sodium valves.

yep...good one...not applicable to all cars, of course, but the first thing I'd do to a car with sodium valves is change them. That's what I did with my old 308GT4....and the price was adjusted accordingly.

Offline Aircon

yep...good one...not applicable to all cars, of course, but the first thing I'd do to a car with sodium valves is change them. That's what I did with my old 308GT4....and the price was adjusted accordingly.

Incidentally, I don't know if that counts as making any difference between a good one or bad one, but it's certainly a potential cost.

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
buyer beware is the motto, then go with gut feel.

The Ferris Bueller 308GTB glass car of mine might not be the best glass GTB but arguably the most original. The paint is still in acrylic, it has blemishes, engine had the valves done prior to purchase, I went on gut feel for what the car represented. Did I pay too much, yup, set the bench mark in Australia. Can anyone find another more original car, dunno, highly unlikely.
Am I happy with the purchase, yes, does the car represent value for money, probably no. As I've said before I'm just the custodian until the next owner comes along after I leave this shitty planet.

At the national concours Brett beat the glass car as it was newly restored and looked the part. Maybe the judges didnt know what to look for but they penalised the duco, I explained it was original from factory, meant nothing. They overlooked all the items that one would think would hold value to a car.

Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Well my 2 cents.
Books are nice but don't read alls good,I've scene books all stamped up by a dealer/shop and thats all there done the service maintance....and left everything else go.
I'd say i've had more classic cars then most.................never had a PPI,always gone on gut experience...but I've been around a long time.
Ferrari I'd look to the mechanic that has maintained the car,without doubt 3 or 4 good quality shops in Melbourne,Sydney has couple including Miles S and Brisbane has Mark that does numerous car owners cars on F/Chat.
When I bought my Boxer ,saw it twice at J.As over a year,drove it for about 10 mins with a long term owner and bought it on the back of John Allan had always maintained the car.
So............
1.Post carby Ferrari,should be Aust delivery where possiable
2.Books and tools .yes.
3.Stay away from cars with substantial crash history/repairs.
4.Look to who maintained
5.Old carby cars plenty of guys around,that know cars history.
6.PPI if your a novice.
7.And this, buy the car for the events and people you want to hang out with.................not just for the latte strip.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Well my 2 cents.
Books are nice but don't read alls good,I've scene books all stamped up by a dealer/shop and thats all there done the service maintance....and left everything else go.
I'd say i've had more classic cars then most.................never had a PPI,always gone on gut experience...but I've been around a long time.
Ferrari I'd look to the mechanic that has maintained the car,without doubt 3 or 4 good quality shops in Melbourne,Sydney has couple including Miles S and Brisbane has Mark that does numerous car owners cars on F/Chat.
When I bought my Boxer ,saw it twice at J.As over a year,drove it for about 10 mins with a long term owner and bought it on the back of John Allan had always maintained the car.
So............
2.Books and tools .yes.
4.Look to who maintained
6.PPI if your a novice.
7.And this, buy the car for the events and people you want to hang out with.................not just for the latte strip.
Yeah, I kinda disagree with the import thing. I have a 360 import and I found it to be the better when comparing to most aussie ones. My car had problems, like all do, but it was mostly due to the 'mechanics' that worked on them (all work done by the importer/compliance), more than the car itself. Now that all that is out of the way, it's a great car. And FWIW, I got a PPI done on mine by Ferrari Sydney(who at the time, had a very good business relationship with the importer, found out after of course) they missed out on a few things which made me wonder why I paid the extra $$$
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline greg246

Well my 2 cents.
So............
2.Books and tools .yes.
4.Look to who maintained
6.PPI if your a novice.

You doing the Lowe?
Jive Assed Mother Plucker

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Yeah, I kinda disagree with the import thing. I have a 360 import and I found it to be the better when comparing to most aussie ones. My car had problems, like all do, but it was mostly due to the 'mechanics' that worked on them (all work done by the importer/compliance), more than the car itself. Now that all that is out of the way, it's a great car. And FWIW, I got a PPI done on mine by Ferrari Sydney(who at the time, had a very good business relationship with the importer, found out after of course) they missed out on a few things which made me wonder why I paid the extra $$$
good point,example is there are plenty of good quality 550/575s in the UK,which are ideal for OZ.
Problem is I'm old school ,always been a RR/Bentley perv,just scene to many imports of that marque ...I'm gun shy of imports....silly really.

Offline Aircon

You can disagree with the import thing all you like, but the reality is that when you go to sell it, it'll be very difficult...and it's difficult enough selling an aussie spec one.

Like I said in the first post, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the car....the whole aussie spec V import lacks logic, but it is what it is.