Offline uber

I've just recently sold my Boxster S of 4 years, so now I have some spare change and looking to purchase a 360 Spyder in manual.

I self maintain my Boxster which was easy, ie oil & filter changes, tranny fluid, brakes pads and all the fluids etc. Nothing went wrong with the Boxster ith always works first go.  The only issue I had with the Boxster was the tranny mount, which wasn't too hard to replace.

I've inspected a few Spyder and the price they want compare to the condition was shocking. A couple of inspections of the Spyder, I just walked away without starting up the Ferrari. Gee some owners treat the Ferrari like crap.

I also notice that the factory paint seems very soft, but car detailing is second nature for me. I know how to correct paint from removing swirls and all the way to wet sanding to get a mirror finish etc The leather in the Ferrari does not hold up well, fading seems common.

My questions are

Is there any like minded people who can share their ownership and servicing of the 360? That is what to look for, the gotcha!! yeah I'll purchase a service manual, don't worry about that.

The roof fabric does not hold it shape well, as all I can assume is that its been in the top down position most of its life. Are there people who can be recommended to fix this?

Can I do the routine servicing myself, do I need special Ferrari only tools or diagnostic tools? Belt and pulley changes I will get this done first by a Ferrari mechanic but once I'm familiar with the Ferrari I'll investigate this further.

Where do self service guys purchase the parts? ie Ferrari USA or UK for reasonable coins?

BTW, I'm in Sydney, I've got a 3 car garage that is 1/2 empty but I will keep on looking until I find the correct 360 for me.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
who dares to use the uber name around these parts...??

But anyway, congrats on rectifying the error of your former ways, and moving away from the poached egg brigade.

360s are potentially 14 years old now.

Get Sal di Mauro in Sydney to do your PPI, and your maintenance. That way, you can enjoy your car more often, and earn the money to pay for the upkeep at your normal job, instead of damaging the resale value and potentially damaging the car by trying to do too much.

Would YOU buy a 360 where the owner had done the belts/tensioners/idlers/swing arm bushes and variator upgrades himself????

If yes.... good luck! Join the RACV :tilt:

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
Would YOU buy a 360 where the owner had done the belts/tensioners/idlers/swing arm bushes and variator upgrades himself????

I'd have to give it serious thought, but it's not rocket science. Whilst I couldn't do it myself (brake pads, anyone) I'm sure most handy people could, esp if you're mechanically minded. You don't even to remove the engine in the 360. Just a few special tools.

Anyone can buy a workshop manual, and places like Ferrarichat are resources where you can find step by step instructions for any work you want to carry out.

Even you've given step by step instructions on cam set up on a 308!

So, in answer to your question, it depends who the person is.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline uber

Thanks Aircon, I'll head over there and see where it takes me.

BTW - my daily drive is a Lexus GS430 V8 purchase at 30,000km , now its done over 290,000km and still going strong. I use it to tow our jet skis and dirt bikes. I commute from Sydney to Wollongong so I need to have the most reliable and comfortable car on the market and the Lexus fits that bill perfectly.

I'm not a mechanic as the job does not pay enough. I've self service the Lexus and done the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, cam seals, crank seals without any dramas (I took my time and it only took 10 hours from start to finish). The rear main oil seal I'll do if and when it starts to leak. Engine mounts has been replaced as well as the usual service items.

Our house has 12 foot tall ceilings including the garage, so this winter as a weekend project I'm going to install a 4ton 4 post hoist. Being thinking of doing this for a couple of years but just been to lazy to do it.

Thanks for your comments keep them comming.

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Thanks Aircon, I'll head over there and see where it takes me.

BTW - my daily drive is a Lexus GS430 V8 purchase at 30,000km , now its done over 290,000km and still going strong. I use it to tow our jet skis and dirt bikes. I commute from Sydney to Wollongong so I need to have the most reliable and comfortable car on the market and the Lexus fits that bill perfectly.

I'm not a mechanic as the job does not pay enough. I've self service the Lexus and done the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, cam seals, crank seals without any dramas. The rear main oil seal I'll do if and when it starts to leak. Engine mounts has been replaced as well as the usual service items.

Thanks for your comments keep them comming.
seems you like reliability.....might be an issue when purchasing a 360.
You really need to have the right gear to service the Ferrari though, well a hoist is a must.....then you need patience
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline ferrarista2

• Drives: Slowly
Btw, there is only one über......be careful how you use that name around here, could get a visit from a highly tattooed man smelling of baby vomit :)
Everything looks better in carbon fibre

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
I've self service the Lexus and done the timing belt, water pump, pulleys, cam seals, crank seals without any dramas (I took my time and it only took 10 hours from start to finish). The rear main oil seal I'll do if and when it starts to leak. Engine mounts has been replaced as well as the usual service items.

Good on ya, Mate....with those credentials, you'll have no problems whatsoever.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Btw, there is only one über......be careful how you use that name around here, could get a visit from a highly tattooed man smelling of baby vomit :)
:D :D :D