Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
im really impressed by this
what software are you using? I looked at teaching myself this years ago, I imagine software has come a long way since then

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
3D Studio Max, been using the same version for about 3 years now  :thumbsup:
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
im really impressed by this

Yeah I thought my wheel design would do that.  Shame there's all these cars here detracting from them.   :D

what software are you using? I looked at teaching myself this years ago, I imagine software has come a long way since then

I'm using Blender (http://www.blender.org).

Don't know how it compares to any other software at this level (RS?), but I can say that if you don't have good spacial awareness and familiarity with other drawing software (even 2D), then don't bother!

For quick (and far less realistic) mockups, I recommend Google Sketchup instead (http://sketchup.google.com/).

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Damn it.  Another NSFW thread.   :irked:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline RS

Productive weekend..

normally takes a week or 2 to get one finished to this level.

Offline fivesix

excuse my ignorance, but what, for instance, would be your purpose for the mini? Was this something you are asked to do for someone, or is it simply for the love of it?
 I understand the practical uses for a manufacturing company etc, but do you then design colour schemes and graphics, or is this purely for fun/to keep your skills in form?

It must be some serious stuff to play around with. Do you have to work out the scales etc yourself, or is there like a certain benchmark you can use for sizing etc?

I imagine there must be huge amounts of input into the design....

Anyway I love the posts so keep them coming!  :thumbsup:

Offline RS

excuse my ignorance, but what, for instance, would be your purpose for the mini? Was this something you are asked to do for someone, or is it simply for the love of it?
 I understand the practical uses for a manufacturing company etc, but do you then design colour schemes and graphics, or is this purely for fun/to keep your skills in form?

It must be some serious stuff to play around with. Do you have to work out the scales etc yourself, or is there like a certain benchmark you can use for sizing etc?

I imagine there must be huge amounts of input into the design....

Anyway I love the posts so keep them coming!  :thumbsup:

The mini has been made for a Mini Challenge driver, it will be used for sponsorship documents, and livery design.

and now its made i will be contacting some other design companies and on selling the rights to use my model for designs.

what's better to take into / send a possible sponsor, a nice rendering of the model showing what it would look like with their company on the car or a paint picture (like the one attached that i found when looking for mini pics)

i have been finding in europe / uk the 3d models are getting a fair bit of a response as they look more professional

usually i get copies of blueprints / CAD documents from the manufacturers / teams that i use to make the model as accurate as possible. Don't really work on a scale as much just what i can get the reference image in.

At the end of the day these are for presentations not usually used for anything technical

Offline dutchie34

i think its one of those things when you get hooked, its hard to stop at doing basic detail,

i started a couple of years ago as an extension of my Architectural CAD background and got pissed off using crappy auto pics to embelish good Archi images.

I started using 3d studio max, but i'm now using Rhino. i also use tech data, blueprints, photos.

some pics attached

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Cars ] Spotted thread scud Today at 09:56
[ Off Topic ] Aussie Politics 360c Today at 09:51
[ Cars ] Underground Parking at Home 360c Today at 09:44
[ Ferrari ] Australian Delivered 308GTB 'glass Aircon Today at 08:01