Offline blackr35

I'm looking forward to a penis reduction, I'm sick of being used by swimsuit models as a plaything :rolleyes:

The CNC mill will do that!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
I've had some obsolete Ferrari parts just made by a moorabin based 3D print co. I'm super impressed.

I'm not sure of the details, but this had to be done on a machine that cost $250,000 although apparently it could be possible just as well on a $26k machine too, but for whatever reason it wouldn't be good enough quality or strong enough if done on one of the really cheap machines...

I think something to do with the resolution quality I required and/or the material I needed.

It's a cool thing indeed. The raw material costs are up there more than you'd think... my bonnet handles have raw material costs alone of over $50 each, and when you think it's just plastic it shouldn't cost that much at all, but it does. The material is on reels like a MIG wire reel. Some of it is sacrificial.

Then, the co. that have bought these machines for $26k or $250k or anywhere in between, need to recoup costs, so they charge an hourly rate... somewhere between $25 and $40/hr seems normal.

My job in my required resolution is roughly a 6 hr job to print, plus clean up time after that.

Then on top you need to get a CAD drawing done.

Bottom line... it's nowhere near as cheap as you think it will be, but it IS uber cool and it's perfect for small run of production stuff.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
yes, post 15 was some time ago.....

Lol really? Shows how much I read.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline a.taylor

Nice to see someone actually use the technology on this scale rather than just play with it. I think the perceived price advantage come when you can do it all yourself.

• Soap Dodger

Nice to see someone actually use the technology on this scale rather than just play with it. I think the perceived price advantage come when you can do it all yourself.

That's the thing. The price advantage isn't really there at all. But yes, it's perceived.

What the advanatage is, is that small runs of things can be made, you can make several different items at once, as long as whatever is being made is the same material.

So I could call up and say I need another 20 bonnet handle cases, and they will say, yeah, no prob. We're running that material on another job, we'll fit your stuff in around that on the same work platform, no worries.

No need to tool up, or set up the machine etc, just add it to the print job. If there's room, it'll do it.

So, there's NO advanatge in scaling costs... it doesn't matter whther you make 1 or 100, the cost will be the same.

That's a disadvanatge too of course, but mostly, its great for small run stuff like I need.

I might even buy one of the smaller machines.

If only I had a Roland. (oh how apt and witty)

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I recently went to a 3D printing seminar. The guest speaker from New Zealand gave an example of a trial part they quoted on in Titanium that is being made in Stainless Steel in China. The quote for the trial parts was cheaper than the production parts from China so now they are making all the production in NZ with the 3D printer in Titanium.

• Soap Dodger

I recently went to a 3D printing seminar. The guest speaker from New Zealand gave an example of a trial part they quoted on in Titanium that is being made in Stainless Steel in China. The quote for the trial parts was cheaper than the production parts from China so now they are making all the production in NZ with the 3D printer in Titanium.

HUH?

3D printers can only print in plastics..... can't they?????