Offline dkabab

updates arent really needed unless you're driving into new housing estates all the time. most roads stay the same  :)
if you are traveling overseas you will need to update the maps as previously mentioned... you can download them from bit-torrents. from memory they retail for roughly $300 a map. (west europe, America, south america) etc..
from reading a bit into them when i was buying, most of the money comes from the cost of the maps. the hardware is cheap like most electronics these days.
from memory there are 2 types of maps... sensis and something else.. cant remember which one is better, but they both have pros and cons

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

Thanks for the comments guys, I will probably do as Pete suggests and go to JB hi Fi and demo a few. The Tom Tom Go 730 sounds good, the advanced lane guidance I think is a must, with all my previous optioned car navs that is one thing that would have been good, very easy to take the wrong lane when lots of lanes to choose from, I have got caught out when interstate before. Is the traffic info in Aussie yet or is this only good for o/s.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I have used lots of the darn things and have had mixed results.

My company car has GPS tracking in it, but it also doubles as a WIFI broadband connection and a GPS Nav unit.
It is a pain in the arse to use as I have to have the Laptop sitting on the pax seat and the software is a pain to use.
It works off addresses and not Lat/Long's, it is a really weird setup.

Anyhoo, cos' I do a lot of country miles and have to find some remote locations at times, a GPS is a must have tool.
I was across the VIC/NSW border heading for a place called Pan Ban, looking for a remote Satellite station out there.
I had 3 GPS's setup in the car, a Tomtom, the in car unit and the N95. All of the units told me to take a LH turn at a particular spot, all within +/-10 meters of each other.
However, there was no where to turn in to, it was all heavy scrub. So of course as I was still heading up the road they were all telling me to do a U-turn and go back.

The Tomtom unit is really great, lots of memory and mostly reliable, had some bugs to start with but after a few firmware upgrades has been fault free.
The N95 is pretty good as well, but some of the services for the GPS cost extra.

Some of the Tomtom's out there atm do have a few problems and bugs from what I have heard. The Go730 has a few problems and is really buggy.

mhh, what model do you have???

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
My god - to think we've come so far since the days of selective availability.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
My god - to think we've come so far since the days of selective availability.

Personal time is precious, and we should protect what we have.

As soon as I get home, or if I feel like it, the mobile phone goes on silent and I just check messages.

Anyone important has my home land line.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
I am about to buy a sat nav that can be moved between a few cars, hoping to get some advice on which portable units are being used out there by everyone, & what they think of them.

Well you've seen my full computer + touch screen setup in the 4WD, so you already know I'm not so familiar with portable ones!

But the one that has caught my eye with good reviews is this versatile on/off road one from Hema: http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/

Also useful for bushwalking, boat, etc, yet can still do street turn by turn directions too.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Well you've seen my full computer + touch screen setup in the 4WD, so you already know I'm not so familiar with portable ones!

Man - I remember years ago driving around govt cars with a crappy Garmin 3+ plugged into the RS232 (?) port of a laptop on the pax seat and recording positions and photographs.... gotta be one of the first real in-car real-time mapping solutions around.  Bizarre to think that something which took so much effort to put together and seemed like such a triumph at the time - well barely 5 years later most cars have it as standard and it's easy to use.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
Bizarre to think that something which took so much effort to put together and seemed like such a triumph at the time - well barely 5 years later most cars have it as standard and it's easy to use.

maybe you were just dumb.

you seem to have troubles with gems like iphones and macs

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Bizarre to think that something which took so much effort to put together and seemed like such a triumph at the time - well barely 5 years later most cars have it as standard and it's easy to use.

Actually people still look at my set up and think it's something new, but I've been doing video trip recording (with GPS data overlays etc) for over 3 years with that same system.  Time flies when you're having fun.  :eek:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

mhh, what model do you have???

tomtom One - a bargain at today's price of under $250.