Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

tomtom One - a bargain at today's price of under $250.

Haven't played with the One. But wow under $250, they were RRP $699 not long ago.
By all accounts a very good unit.

I have heard that the early ones did have a few issues and needed firmware upgrades to fix?

And talking to one of the Satellite techs this morning, found out about the turn problem were there is no turn.

All of the units told me to take a LH turn at a particular spot, all within +/-10 meters of each other.
However, there was no where to turn in to, it was all heavy scrub

The problem is with Sensis v.13 - not the unit or the GPS system.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Do you recall an ad a few months ago for the Porsche Boxter offering a factory satnav (normally nearly $7,000 :eek:) for free?  And the Porsche Satnav is pretty lousy - nowhere near as good as the tomtom for example.

All the ad did was to remind buyers that Porsche options are stupidly priced.  :doh:

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Smart ForTwo
  • Name: Peter
shaddap you

Others smite not have known about that little fact.   :p

lol...hey...make up your own jokes!!

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

• Drives: MB SLK230 - VW 3.6 CC
We have used our Tom Tom One XL all over the USA and found it to be very good. This has now been upgraded but having looked at the new model but I could not find any changes.

Offline waz356

Thanks for the comments guys, I will probably do as Pete suggests and go to JB hi Fi and demo a few. The Tom Tom Go 730 sounds good, the advanced lane guidance I think is a must, with all my previous optioned car navs that is one thing that would have been good, very easy to take the wrong lane when lots of lanes to choose from, I have got caught out when interstate before. Is the traffic info in Aussie yet or is this only good for o/s.

Hi Pete, I bought a Tom Tom GO730 on Friday night. I'd already done the Dick Smith/Harvey Norman play and the features and ease of use on the 730 swayed me.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hi Pete, I bought a Tom Tom GO730 on Friday night. I'd already done the Dick Smith/Harvey Norman play and the features and ease of use on the 730 swayed me.

Have they gotten rid of most of the bugs????

I have forgetten which firmware version is the lastest but I was told anything before this was really buggy and had a few problems.
Not sure the details though.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have forgetten which firmware version is the lastest but I was told anything before this was really buggy and had a few problems.

My One is 3 years old and has no bugs.  Used it in UK, Spain, France, Germany, USA and Australia with no problems I can recall.

Edit:  I couldn't find the Sheraton in Luxembourg.  It took me to an empty road.  :o

Offline waz356

It comes with all the software and a docking station. First thing I did was download the latest firmware (it came with 5.1.x and I uploaded 5.3.x). After nearly a whole days use - where I never left the house) it's all good so far.  :doh: