Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It comes with all the software and a docking station. First thing I did was download the latest firmware (it came with 5.1.x and I uploaded 5.3.x). After nearly a whole days use - where I never left the house) it's all good so far.  :doh:

Your helpful post deserves a  :)

Offline app

Does anyone have problems with GPS in Sydney??

I remember going on a holiday to Sydney, and while going in the tunnel under the bridge I hear this voice "Do a U-Turn" - I'm like WTF??

I had all sorts of problems, with GPS getting all the roads wrong and just wanted to throw it out the window.

This was a TomTom BTW

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I remember going on a holiday to Sydney, and while going in the tunnel under the bridge I hear this voice "Do a U-Turn" - I'm like WTF??

I had all sorts of problems, with GPS getting all the roads wrong and just wanted to throw it out the window.

This was a TomTom BTW

Sounds like an early model with screwy firmware.

Er, you do realise that when the unit goes into a tunnel it losses comms to the satellites and freaks out.
The newer units have built in correction for most tunnels, but some of the older versions and the cheap Chinese units don't.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

This was a TomTom BTW

yep...with every unit i've tried so far.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

Your helpful post deserves a  :)

don't be ridiculous.

Offline app

Sounds like an early model with screwy firmware.

Er, you do realise that when the unit goes into a tunnel it losses comms to the satellites and freaks out.
The newer units have built in correction for most tunnels, but some of the older versions and the cheap Chinese units don't.
I've been told that if you go to any city with tall skyscrapers everywhere, you're not going to get a good signal

I just do it the old way with the street directory. Apparently not reading maps is bad for the mind

And let's just face it, who really needs a GPS in Adelaide??

yep...with every unit i've tried so far.

Have they been new and old?? From what I've been hearing, including Mondi's comment, the newer ones are better than the old ones in tunnel situations like I was talking about.

Offline Aircon

I've been told that if you go to any city with tall skyscrapers everywhere, you're not going to get a good signal

I just do it the old way with the street directory. Apparently not reading maps is bad for the mind

And let's just face it, who really needs a GPS in Adelaide??

Have they been new and old?? From what I've been hearing, including Mondi's comment, the newer ones are better than the old ones in tunnel situations like I was talking about.

on my HTC pro i have co-pilot 7 and tomtom.

when i go into a tunnel the co-pilot just loses signal and stops. tomtom keeps going. i don't know how it does it....but it's very helpful that it does if you need to exit soon after the tunnel, for example.

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

I also just went out and bought the TomTom  GO730 like Waz and it seems good to me, no bugs so far, works fine in the harbour tunnel, predicts with EPT where you are.

Went to do a down load and check the latest software for the TomTom on my Macbook Pro, sadly the unit locked up  :(, took it back to Harvey Norman and they gave me a new one, did the same again  :mad: back to HN for another new one, they gave me a support number this time which I rang and was told there are current issues with download from Macs, ( no Mac jokes please at this point  :rolleyes:) told they would be fixed within few weeks or so, although at least I had latest software installed now. I am not game to connect to my Mac just yet.

The computer voice I selected, reads out roads as you approach, nice feature although the voice gets some funny pronunciations some times, I like the lane indications and the new Road Sign indication.

I went out and drove through the harbour tunnel and up bradfield highway with heaps of lanes and signs to confuse you - as those multi lane highways and exit choices can be confusing if you don't know the area ie when interstate or o/seas - have to report it was good with the explanations and road sign views and took me where I needed to go easily.

Lots more features than I have had on any of my in built car sat navs. Works well through the FM of the car and the voice is much clearer for me through the car speakers, as I'm getting deaf in old age  :(. Generally very happy at this point, will update if that opinion changes.
Keep Smiling

Offline Aircon

predicts with EPT where you are.

with what?????

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

with what?????

Knew that would get a comment, "enhanced positioning technology" in tomtom speak.
Keep Smiling