Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Need a place just for discussing Android related stuff in general.

Sadly - starting it out with a bitch session about a major flaw...

TETHERING IS

F
U
C
K
I
N
G

SLOW.

:(

I don't know what happens between the interwebs and the computer - but somewhere in the device and cable it seems Android just completely rapes your connection.

I thought for a while it was just my providers, but I can go to the bogger with my HTC Desire HD connected to Internode wifi and it's blisteringly fast, plug it into the pooter to tether it - buh-bow.

Never really occured to me until the gf was connected wirelessly to my wifi on her laptop and is able to leap tall internet buildings in a single click.

Not alone it seems, and it's not related to a single device either: http://www.google.com/search?q=android+tethering+slow

Offline fivesix

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Get an iphone.

Lulz :boom:

Ordered a wifi dongle off ebay for $8 bucks - that oughta clear it up. :p

Offline app

It's gotta be the network, mine is due to the piece of shit provider Vodafone.

Mine was really fast in the beginning now it's so bloody slow that the page actually times out and has to be reloaded  :banghead:

I almost shat myself laughing when the CEO of Vodafone put out a video apologising for the network slowness, how it was due to the way they are upgrading their infrastructure and asked customers for a 2nd chance - hey dickhead, that video was a month ago and nothing has happened to the network :doh:

Telstra all the way it is for my next phone...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

It's gotta be the network, mine is due to the piece of shit provider Vodafone.

Not in this case - as I said, it's blisteringly fast when on my phone or wifi'd up to a laptop, but when tethered through the phone it's abysmal.  Or at least - unreliable, sometimes cruises along for hours, but most of the time I get 5-10 minutes of usefullness followed by disconnects and timeouts.

The network is another story - next thing on my list is to move to Telstra, the others were fine up until about 6-12 months ago when smartphones really started to boom - now that everyone has a data connection, nobody non-Telstra has a reliable data connection. :doh:

Offline dkabab

You are aware you can opt out of vodafone contracts at the moment with no cancellation fees due to their lack of service.

Offline app

You are aware you can opt out of vodafone contracts at the moment with no cancellation fees due to their lack of service.

I am aware. Problem is you have to put up a fight which I don't have the time for.

Plus the phone is not exactly in my name (long story). So I can't really represent myself while fighting them and I don't see how transferring it into my name (which I could do now) would work because they would be like "you've had it for one day..."

Still considering it. Also considering paying out the contract with 6 months left on it, which would be $420. Maybe wait a couple more months?

Offline app

Not in this case - as I said, it's blisteringly fast when on my phone or wifi'd up to a laptop, but when tethered through the phone it's abysmal.  Or at least - unreliable, sometimes cruises along for hours, but most of the time I get 5-10 minutes of usefullness followed by disconnects and timeouts.

The network is another story - next thing on my list is to move to Telstra, the others were fine up until about 6-12 months ago when smartphones really started to boom - now that everyone has a data connection, nobody non-Telstra has a reliable data connection. :doh:

In the beginning when Vodafone was reliable, I was able to tether fast but only if I wasn't being ridiculous with the surfing, i.e. if I try and load 4 pages at once it would drop out. But when 1 or 2 pages at a time, always consistent.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The 2.3 Gingerbread update has almost finished downloading on my Desire HD... If you don't hear from me again it probably exploded....