Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Hey everyone,

Just checking if there is anyone here who may be able to help me.  Im quite private about my personal details, i always make sure that i keep my details quite difficult to find.

However today i googled my name to make sure there was nothing there, and i found that someone has tried to register a domain, with my name, phone number & address as the registrant.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction so that i can try and

1: have this information removed
2: have this domain shut down etc

Cheers

Looney

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

.com or .com.au address?

get in touch with the registrar.  They have an obligation to protect your privacy

Offline looney

.com or .com.au address?

get in touch with the registrar.  They have an obligation to protect your privacy

its a .com

but i am listed as the registrar? and it has all of my personal details on there, phone, address name etc?

Offline TomE

its a .com

but i am listed as the registrar?

Anyone can set up an account through a US registrar with NO ID requirements.

http://www.joewein.net/fraud/fraud-fake-domains.htm
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline jamesatfish

If you can figure out which registrar performed the domain registration (you should be able to find out through whois or even by looking at the DNS results to see who is handling the delegation), get in touch with the registrar and using your own personal details (as the 'owner' of the domain) request that the domain transfer keys be provided to you.

From there, go to your own trusted domain provider and transfer the domain away from the current registrar to your preferred provider.  Change the DNS delegation and lock down the domain so it can't be transferred away.

If your name is going to be listed as the domain registrant you may as well own (I think the correct internet term is p0wn) it for yourself.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline TomE

Did they use your  credit  card to pay for it  :scared:
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I'm guessing I'm not so private, I just googled my name.
I wonder why someone wanted to used your name, was the url something you wouldnt want to be associated with?

Page 6 of about 1,100,000 results

Offline CortinaD

Have you tried a few lookups direct on the register just incase it was a glitch in the matrix as you can return anything in a google search

im pretty fussy about my details too after a lecturer at uni who was teaching us about secure internets/privacy had his identity stolen,  the only thing that comes up for me is some work domain names and mugshots of criminals with the same name as me.

Offline looney

I'm guessing I'm not so private, I just googled my name.
I wonder why someone wanted to used your name, was the url something you wouldnt want to be associated with?

nah, but my name is very unique, in fact the only one in the world, and only about a dozen people in the world with my surname, so wary of false information.

but the site is nothing that seems inappropriate, but still the principe of it is a concern to me :(