Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
the new 3G iphone that's coming out with inbuilt GPS will be the duck's guts AND is likely to be supported by telstra in the very near future

(apparently)

the GPS will be overrated in my opinion, it will chew up the battery so fast you will need a recharge by the time you get to your destination :P, there is a feature currently on the Iphone that when in MAPS you can press a button and it will use the cell towers around you to give you your location. it gives you a circle that centers around you and is a few streets large. not the best but gives you a general idea if your lost.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
funny some of you think it's not small!

compared to my phone (TyTnII) which i love, it's tiny!! and apart from a keyboard, looks like it'll have all the features!

all the old iphone lacked was GPS and high speed internet. i thought it was VERY compact for what it is...and the interface is awesome.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
the GPS will be overrated in my opinion, it will chew up the battery so fast you will need a recharge by the time you get to your destination :P, there is a feature currently on the Iphone that when in MAPS you can press a button and it will use the cell towers around you to give you your location. it gives you a circle that centers around you and is a few streets large. not the best but gives you a general idea if your lost.

like ALL GPSs, you'll plug it into the ciggie lighter whilst using it. i would have thought that was pretty obvious.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline STi Nut

one think i thought i have to say is that it has not got the best signal, it may be because i am on vodafone but i will have no signal in places where others will have full, and my sister who is on the same plan as me has better signal on her nokia

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

Lotsa Pros...but the Cons for me are:
- only 2 MP camera
- no video phone capability or video recording (i think)
- video playback not in .avi, .mpg or other more common format
- battery life is a concern

I'm going to wait for reviews on how well the Iphone 3G will work with MS Exhange Server and handle security certificates, so that I can sync my Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Tasks. If it can't do that then I won't even consider it.

Offline STi Nut

there is no video recording on the phone out of the box, Battery life is actually alright, i have mine with the wifi always on and when ever at my desk i have it docked so it s charging, it will go 3 or so days if you have no wi-fi and don't charge it.... i know that the battery has been improved with the new one and that 3G does chew the battery alot faster, thats why there is a function that allows you to turn 3G on and off.

about the MS Exhange Server stuff, from what i understand is that it has been 100% incorporated into the 3G phone...
http://www.apple.com/au/iphone/enterprise/integration.html

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
- battery life is a concern

going by the ipod the whole units life would be a worry for me
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

goober

going by the ipod the whole units life would be a worry for me

true, i've gone thru more ipods than hot dinners

Offline CortinaD

Im going to try one when Telstra get it or I can buy it outright because I hate the jasjam I have.

Offline psw

• Keep smiling

I love mine have had it for 6 months, I was one of those grandfathers who still used a filofax and resisted all other electronic diaries, complicated phones etc, as long as it made calls and had a phonebook that was all I wanted, until getting the iPhone, it probably helped I use an Apple laptop, it made the switch from the dark ages painless for me. I have totally embraced the smart phone technology and to me, it is the 'duck's guts'. PP tm

Pros- Looks sensational & I love the interface, the keyboard is a better size than other phones or blackberrys, much easier to use
- the synching with my laptop, no different to others I know but still great,
- incredibly tactile & intuitive to use
- I use the integrated ipod all the time
- now that the 3G and GPS are here it becomes even better, I will definitely trade up.
- battery life has not been an issue since I set it to go to sleep/lock mode after 4 minutes, it still wakes if phone rings, or alarm from your calender/diary/reminder etc
- very easy to synch photos from laptop to phone and adequate storage

Cons- poor camera but I have a camera/video which will always be better than any phone camera could ever be, so not really a con for me.
- I have surepage answering for voicemail and when they send me text message and phone numbers I can't just use the phone number as a link, gives me the shits, more an Optus issue that will be fixed once they deliver their first to customers I reckon, or too many people will be complaining.

Is phone life really an issue, as said earlier 6 months old & I have had no issues, I know others who have had them just 12 months and no problems, I use the ipod all the time, phone naturally always, email and browser likewise, after all how often does everyone change their phones.

I am with Optus and don't seem to have coverage issues any more than friends with Telstra, I was with Telstra for years swapped to Optus no discernible difference in my everyday use. The size IMO suits jean pockets, suit coats etc better than my previous phones, it is very thin, and the bluetooth/phonebook links no problems with my Wife's Audi and my portables for other vehicles.

Conclusion,  I love everything about my iPhone 2.5G, so I will definitely trade up to 3G with the extra features.
Keep Smiling