Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'm sick of Google Plus nowadays - it only uploads maybe half my photos and even when I use the force method it tells me they're all uploaded, but they're simply not, so I have to freakin' email them to myself so I can download them on my computer and then upload them again.

This is clearly quite a waste of time and space - especially for someone like me who has very limited internet - in both amount and speed.

It wasn't always the case, it used to be a great and smooth system, but more and more lately G+ chooses to upload maybe 7 out of 20 photos and basically says GFY that'll do pig.

So anyhoo - any alternatives?

Basically - whenever I take a pic on my phone, I want it to automatically upload to a PRIVATE area, but the image itself I can share just by sharing the URL.

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

Dropbox?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/32/en

Take photos and videos using your devices' built-in camera and save them directly to your Dropbox

Offline blackr35

Evernote. But you'd have to use the Evernote camera app rather than phone camera app. Android may have more options to write a small script that directly links phone camera with Evernote/Dropbox/Facebook.

iPhoto does the same as google plus - says its synchronized everything...but it doesn't, because Apple doesn't play with anyone else but Apple.

If I could code, I would write a simple program that scanned direct to Evernote from my pc...but I can't.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Dropbox?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/32/en

I was an early adopter of DropBox way back when I had an iPhone (*shudder*), haven't really heard of them since then but maybe worth a shot.

I'm looking for long-term solutions though - not some hotshot company that will be bought out and all their configurations changed to suit advertisers. (see imageshack et al)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Evernote. But you'd have to use the Evernote camera app rather than phone camera app. Android may have more options to write a small script that directly links phone camera with Evernote/Dropbox/Facebook.

I have Evernote from years ago - never found a use for it.

iPhoto does the same as google plus - says its synchronized everything...but it doesn't, because Apple doesn't play with anyone else but Apple.

This is my frustration - not that a piece of software is incapable of doing something, but that IT'S FUCKING LYING TO ME.

This I will not tolerate.

If I could code, I would write a simple program that scanned direct to Evernote from my pc...but I can't.

I can code, but haven't used Evernote for years since the first time I tried and it seemed pointless. Maybe it's more useful nowadays.

But first port of call is always to Google if someone else more clever has already done it - which is usually the case.

Offline blackr35

How I use Evernote
- password manager (create note, searchable on evernote, can access via mobile/desktop)
- receipt/document scanning (shared folder with my accountant - for BAS and tax)
- go paperless (all documents emailed/scanned into evernote - OCR searchable)
- holiday planning (web clipper to dedicated folders, searchable from mobile/desktop)
- holiday documents (travel insurance/medical insurance/passport etc - all visible)
- Evernote food (photos of food, stored and indexed, with plain text/html notes, location linked as well, can share with others (read only if required))
- Skitch (like MS Paint for mobile - photo documents, scribble on them, save to evernote)

No ads, good interface, secure, works on mobile/pc/mac (never used android evernote)

Offline blackr35

This is my frustration - not that a piece of software is incapable of doing something, but that IT'S FUCKING LYING TO ME.

This I will not tolerate.

This is such an Apple issue - drives me mad. The iphone is wonderful and I would miss it like a limb if it went. The Macbook Pro is like a beautiful woman that doesnt put out. Useless.

Offline a.taylor

I use dropbox for exactly that purpose. Has never missed a beat. I'm on the HTC one X and it was one of the default setup questions when I first fired up the camera.