Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Hey guys,

Thought  might as well ask here as some a lot better with PC's then me. When I got my netbook 18 months ago I took the option to split the harddrive so that I could use one for normal use and one for backup. Now when it backs up it tells me that there isn't enough space on the D:. Look at explorer and C: has 49 of 117GB's free but D: only has 6 of 100GB's free. How can the drive that only has the restore function on it have more on it then the drive it is backing up?

The other question is should I just use a external harddrive for the backup and re-format the netbook to only have 1 drive? If so how would I go about this?

Cheers for any suggestions

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
your backup strategy is dangerously flawed
if you lose your netbook or it gets stolen or the drive fails, you lose everything

I would immediately (today) buy 2 external hard drives, they are $60 each for a terabyte

backup to each of those, just the simple way, in windows explorer select all the folders you want to back up and copy onto the drives (do this twice so you have 2 backups)

then take one of those 2 drives and store it somewhere else, a parent or friends house, at work

then once a month rotate the external drives

if you have less than 2TB of data (you have a netbook so you do), just copy it all again, it will only take an hour and you dont have to watch it generally

if you get lots of data you can start to look at using robocopy (free microsoft tool for copying only modified data) or a $100 version of the same from one of many software suppliers

I have seen many people lose their lifes work, musicians I know lost entire albums of source tracks, including relatively famous people who do this for a living and are wealthy from it. They still didnt spend $120 to ensure their occupation was backed up!

Online allanuber

• Name: Al
Hey guys,

Thought  might as well ask here as some a lot better with PC's then me. When I got my netbook 18 months ago I took the option to split the harddrive so that I could use one for normal use and one for backup. Now when it backs up it tells me that there isn't enough space on the D:. Look at explorer and C: has 49 of 117GB's free but D: only has 6 of 100GB's free. How can the drive that only has the restore function on it have more on it then the drive it is backing up?

The other question is should I just use a external harddrive for the backup and re-format the netbook to only have 1 drive? If so how would I go about this?

Cheers for any suggestions

^^^ Edit - I was too slow - what HE said  :D

In my experience mate - having a backup on the same physical disk as the primary is almost pointless. If your disk dies, you lose both.

Simplest way when you're travelling is to buy a 1TB external disk (cheap now!) and either manually copy files to the disk regularly, or get one of the kabillionty backup software tools out there to replicate to the external disk. When you travel pack the laptop and the external disk in differnt bags and you'll have at least some coverage!
C'mon, do it!

Offline CortinaD

Put truecrypt on your backups too, that way no one can read your stuff.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I've got Google Storage - $5 bucks a year for 20gb or up to 1TB for like $250 bucks a year.  That covers email, photos and docs, so there's not really much else that I can lose.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I've got Google Storage - $5 bucks a year for 20gb or up to 1TB for like $250 bucks a year.  That covers email, photos and docs, so there's not really much else that I can lose.

Nar, the mind has gone so I think you're OK there.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Nar, the mind has gone so I think you're OK there.

Next up, virginity. :sadnana:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline CortinaD

Your data is safe from prying eyes with Google