Offline carmooch

• Name: George
A very nice looking front end George!  ;)

I notice that the blog link is still down, looking forward to see how you will intergrate this into the site..  :thumbsup:

How are you going to be advertising it mainly? Car forums to capture the audience..?
Thanks Chris! I'm very happy with how the interface turned out. Pixel perfect to my design concepts!

The blog will probably still just be wordpress but reskinned to look like the rest of the site. Although that's one out of about a millions things that still need to be done.

I'm hoping to approach car makers and have them leverage their own social media following to get owners onto the site and writing reviewers. It's win-win because we get content and they improve their brand's reputation on the site.

Once it is running at full potential and we implement a few of the extra features we have in mind (including a mobile app) it will be a very helpful tool to help buy a new car.

Offline Paulstar

Our developer did a great job, built the whole site from scratch on his own in under 3 months. The reason it wasn't tested is because this is the test. Remember this is is our beta launch right now to iron out all the bugs.

Siding with Al, he should have been testing each component as he developed it not before sending it live.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Siding with Al, he should have been testing each component as he developed it not before sending it live.

I thought it was a beta site?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

It's not beta. It's just a job in progress. God knows why it's live.

Offline Paulstar

Beta launches, say its a game or an app that requires user intervention or testing against so many variables that testing in house simply cannot cover then beta launch it. IE testing is just a matter of course step in the dev work flow.

Offline hydie

When your on a brands home page, and at the top of the page, I think it would be better if the cars scrolled from right to left (like on the home page), instead of having to hover over it to make it move.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
When your on a brands home page, and at the top of the page, I think it would be better if the cars scrolled from right to left (like on the home page), instead of having to hover over it to make it move.
Thanks for the suggestion Chris, I've submitted the ticket to the developer to get it done. Thanks for signing up as well. Feel free to write a review if you have the time.

It's not beta. It's just a job in progress. God knows why it's live.
Beta = job in progress. IE compatibility is the least of our worries right now, especially since it is just the home page. Google has just made an announcement (literally not even 24 hours ago) saying it is going to release an update to make Chrome more compatible with IE (similar to the changes in the Firefox 4 release). It is a waste of time to stop and worry about compatibility on one page in one browser if it is going to change on a weekly basis and have to be updated, especially with so much other work to be done.

The idea of getting it live as early as possible (other than to work out bugs and get feedback) is to start building a ranking on Google - and their search robots don't care if the home page looks funny in IE, if anything they will probably give us extra points! :P

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Thanks for the suggestion Chris, I've submitted the ticket to the developer to get it done. Thanks for signing up as well. Feel free to write a review if you have the time.
Beta = job in progress. IE compatibility is the least of our worries right now, especially since it is just the home page. Google has just made an announcement (literally not even 24 hours ago) saying it is going to release an update to make Chrome more compatible with IE (similar to the changes in the Firefox 4 release). It is a waste of time to stop and worry about compatibility on one page in one browser if it is going to change on a weekly basis and have to be updated, especially with so much other work to be done.

The idea of getting it live as early as possible (other than to work out bugs and get feedback) is to start building a ranking on Google - and their search robots don't care if the home page looks funny in IE, if anything they will probably give us extra points! :P

You're kidding right?

This is like opening a store for ladies fashion and only letting blokes, or Mondi in.

If you don't support IE on your homepage ... then half your market's never going to come back or to use your services.

Moochman, people who've done the web thing before here are trying to give you useful advice - ignore away.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Paulstar

I think there is some logic behind why he's pushed it live before its fully baked. Ageing the URL getting it indexed in google and building a rank etc. I've done it before for a client but not with a 1/2 ready version of the final site. With a static HTML page + content + SEM in place whilst the real site was getting built out of view.

From
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

The stats
2011    Internet Explorer    Firefox    Chrome    Safari    Opera
February    26.5 % ................   42.4%    24.1%    4.1%    2.5%
January    26.6 %............    42.8%    23.8%    4.0%    2.5%

My opinion - take it or leave it
If i wanted to keep the whole site pumping I'd strip the homepage back to the basics, keep the dynamic field where the car changes, keep the sign up form (after it is fixed of course) and work on the slide show dealy in the background.

If you want a hard and fast way to make the HP compliant across browsers, at work our designers, development and production team have switched to this http://960.gs/ framework for making static pages and also holding dynamic content and the time spent making pages identical cross browsers has happily fallen dramatically.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass

You're kidding right?

This is like opening a store for ladies fashion and only letting blokes, or Mondi in.

If you don't support IE on your homepage ... then half your market's never going to come back or to use your services.

Moochman, people who've done the web thing before here are trying to give you useful advice - ignore away.

:thumbsup:
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.