Offline dkabab

Ok I’m looking at upgrading my computing power all the way to 11… but I’m out of touch with what’s good and what’s not these days.
Basically my main requirement is big processing power for large image files.  Quite often I will open 10-20 RAW image files all sitting around 20mb each… this doesn’t help my poor laptop at all…
Also having Photoshop and bridge running at the same time, it’s a nuisance when I need to go through several thousand photos after a weekends photography. :doh:

I've heard of duo cores and quad cores… and stuff like that. But what should I be looking for.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline dkabab

not concerned about price at the moment, just want to know whats what and then i can see from there. but under 2k

vista i assume....  and a PC

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Processor of the moment is the Intel i7.

It is coined as the Digital artists choice as it can handle loading large files quickly and big time multi-tasking.

Core 2 Duo is pretty much the standard now with the Core 2 Quad being the next step. But the i7 is the Ultimate.

A good quality Gigabyte MB is also the go, IMO - I have built quite a few systems and used most brands of MBs but I have found the Gigabyte's to be better than average is most cases.

Lots of RAM - don't sell yourself short by only equipping the minimum RAM and it's not overly expensive.

Quality Video card. Most of these are aimed at Gamers - I normally go for the Ge-Force.

Lots of options.

Offline dkabab

Sounds good, yeah speed is just something I NEED, at the moment im still processing images from 3 weeks ago cos my laptop just cant keep up.
And it will only get worse as I will get new cameras with bigger file sizes….

So say I get a machine with the parts you have suggested, ballpark whats that going to be worth? If we just work on it being a tower without screen etc…

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
at the moment im still processing images from 3 weeks ago cos my laptop just cant keep up

So take better photos upfront so there's less post processing.   :p

But seriously, set your budget and spend up to that based on trusted reviews by the likes of www.cnet.com.au.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

OK - and this is only my option.

Intel i7 Socket 1366 base processor about $450 - the $$$$$s go up with speed.
MB Gigabyte GA-EX58 family is what I would go for - starting $$$$s about $360
Ge-force 9800GT Vid card multi/split monitor options - starting $$$$$s about $230
RAM - 6gig generic about $200 - depends on MB as well.
HDD is up to you but 1TB around $180.
Genric case with PS about $200.

A good place to start - http://www.techbuy.com.au/

Offline Doctor

• Left Sodways
  • Under a Vw, or behind a Camera...

So take better photos upfront so there's less post processing.   :p

But seriously, set your budget and spend up to that based on trusted reviews by the likes of www.cnet.com.au.

lol Good luck with that, the guy loves his photoshop! Still gotta be one of the only motorsport togs in the country shooting RAW everyweek!

Budget is a good idea, i knew what i wanted to spend and spent less than that and got a kickarse computer....

Im running 4gig ram quad core setup and it works well for me, ill go more ram further down the track
www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers , Understeer Scares The Driver

Offline STi Nut

• Drives: Toyota GTS 86
you saying that when you goto the track and shoot 1500+ photos you are shooting in RAW??

I just bought a Imac 24" top of the range, this works at lightspeed in Lightroom 2.2 working on RAW photos

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter