Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Something in today's paper about a new business dealing with mobile numbers - they got the idea from seeing VicRoads make money out of high value numberplates and thought they could do the same with mobile numbers.

The website isn't much - I didn't see anything too special for sale.

www.mynumber.com.au

The concept is a good one though.  Mobile numbers are for life, can be taken from carrier to carrier and good ones cost no extra to hold than regular numbers.  I bought 5 double triples - e.g. 04XX AAA BBB - several years ago from Telstra for $400 each.  I wonder if Telstra still do this?

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Something in today's paper about a new business dealing with mobile numbers - they got the idea from seeing VicRoads make money out of high value numberplates and thought they could do the same with mobile numbers.

www.mynumber.com.au

The concept is a good one though.  Mobile numbers are for life, can be taken from carrier to carrier and good ones cost no extra to hold than regular numbers.  I bought 5 double triples - e.g. 04XX AAA BBB - several years ago from Telstra for $400 each.  I wonder if Telstra still do this?

Back in the day, One.Tel were the masters of this game - their sales guys seemed to always have a good list of doubles and triples in the number sets and would 'hook you up' if you took a long contract. No doubt there's some value to good numbers, though enormously speculative on prices - but no doubt the interwebs will provide a good view of whether anyone buys.

On a similar front we're trying to buy a 13xxxx number right now and hte auction, offer, chase process is horrible - no doubt there's sites out there as well to do this.
C'mon, do it!

Offline app

www.mynumber.com.au

i got 04AA BB AA BB a couple of years ago. Before that I had spent a lot of time looking around for one and looking up info on it. I went to several phone shops and found out you can pay 100-400 depending on how good the number is. Sounds good but you will very rarely find any good numbers  :doh:

I was was told that if you want a really good number you have to get in early and buy as soon as a new number prefix comes out - ie a new 04XX. However, I've been told if your a telstra and possibly optus business customer you have a better chance of getting a good number.

EBay had some really good ones that came up every now and then but they stopped. I emailed eBay to find out why this was so, apparently number sales between private parties are not allowed as numbers are not owned by the users. IIRC they are not even owned by the telcos but are owned by one of the communication bodies in Australia.

So, the best way to get a good number if your not a business customer IMO is to look around on the Internet and be patient as they don't come up of often. But I guess it makes it more special. 

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Back in the day, One.Tel

Ah, One.Tel. What a ride, I think they found some way of printing money 'cos there seemed to be an endless supply until one day it just stopped and so did our jobs.   :eek:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

....apparently number sales between private parties are not allowed....

Looks like they are now. This must be the red tape the My Number guy talks about cutting through. Mind you, we've tranferred lots of numbers to our account at work over the years when the new employee wants to keep their old personal number as their new work number.

Offline CortinaD

I think Telstra call it a gold number.

If you have an account manager they will just find you a one that meets your parameters for no charge. (well at least ours does). Most of the numbers in our company end in porsche models or me in 007.

We have done at least a dozen transfers for staff that want to keep their numbers when they come to work here and its very easy. Just ring up account manager with the number, within 30 minutes its on our account.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

With mobile numbers you can also get word numbers often easily. Like 04xx BITEME = 04xx 248363 or 04x7 677243 = 04x PORSCHE

I might see if 04xx 382563 is available.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I might see if 04xx 382563 is available.

Oh, so you want to ETAJOF.............    :scratchchin:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

There is this also, but haven't had a good look around it as yet.

http://www.phonenumbers.net.au/

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala