Offline cel

I'm pretty sure this sort of has been discussed previously but I can't seem to find the right thread.

I'm seriously thinking about creating a website for my photography stuff, with the main focus on getting my pictures out, advertising my work and possibly selling some things.

Are there any handy tools to easily create a website as I'm definitely no expert (though I did create my own /geocities website 10 years ago  :D

And any other tips/advice on how to approach it?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Read this thread: https://aussieexotics.com/forum/aussie-exotics-lounge/website-design-advice-t4212.0.html

Listen to Dr Kebab's experience on how he got going as a complete newbie when he pipes up here - I just helped him set one up, you can get going for under $500 bucks and I can help you out.  If you want a pro setup done from scratch it'll cost you $2-5k minimum.

Offline cel

Excellent, thanks Ash. That was the one I was looking for  :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

No probs - as you can see this joint is already #1 for "Cel photography" - so once you have something up n running some of that traffic can be sent your way.

Offline dkabab

marcel, i would recomend www.smugmug.com which is what www.epicimages.com.au is hosted on.
i didnt need a website that was too business like, just one that i could have a few pages of text and a whole heap of galleries.
its so easy to use, just click add new gallery, add the pics, and it does it all by itself.

i have the "pro level" account, which means people can purchase images direct from my site similar to redballoon or redbubble whats it called? anyway i have since found out, being an american site, the way it works is once youve built up $600 in sales or more, then they pay you in cheque or eft, not sure. but being an aussie, you need to provide proof of location etc... for the whole tax thing.

so i probably shouldnt have payed the extra as i will unlikely use it, but no biggie. so if you get the mid level one + a domain name, you can get out of it for around $100-150ish. AND the good thing about sites like this is the no bandwidth limits etc.. and no code!

feel free to ask away any Q's you have and i or my webmaster will help

Offline cel

Awesome, thanks so much for that guys, I'll carefully go through it all over the weekend and hopefully start creating some things soon :)

Offline 98octane

I started quite a few websites when I was a kid.  I taught myself HTML and basic Javascript (pretty easy to work with).  I also adapted scripts used in websites I liked and visited websites like www.dynamicdrive.com/ for interesting scripts.  But I used free web hosting for all my sites, and I learnt the hard way that you can't escape the ads and they'll eventually take over.  Here's one I started over 10 years ago and haven't touched (or even visited!) since the early '00s - you'll enjoy the terrible '90s sytling and bad graphics (I was a novice at PS): http://ww2pics.tripod.com/

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Here's one I started over 10 years ago and haven't touched (or even visited!) since the early '00s - you'll enjoy the terrible '90s sytling and bad graphics (I was a novice at PS): http://ww2pics.tripod.com/

Ace :cool:

Wowwwweeee did I just happen to be that 1 millionth!!!!!! omg omg omg I am winnars!! :p

btw how'd you manage 1M in under a week?  AE gets ~100k a month so it takes best part of a year to see that! hehe :D

Offline 98octane

Lol.  That's why I gave up all those years ago - I just couldn't beat the ads that the servers constantly inserted into my scripts.  I even tried to insert anti-ad scripts and frequently refreshed the source code to rid them of the ad script blocks, but to avail.  That site has been (almost) unusable for years due to this problem.

If I get any free time, I'd like to set up a simple photography website too.  AE has all sorts of clever devices that I wouldn't need, so I'd do something far more simple like ozcarsightings.com or swisscarsightings.com.  But setting up a new site would take a while, and I'd prefer to go driving!

Offline JanG

• Will eat your baby
  • Photographer

• Drives: BMW M2/STI track car
  • www: JanGlovac.com
Yeah I don't use one of those "template" style ones as I like to make small changes here and there - e.g. changed the look of the photoshoots page the other day, just for the hell of it and wanting something different. Need to know some basic coding but taught myself that without too much difficulty....once you have a few pages up the rest is mainly a copy/paste exercise anyway.

Running a few google ads aswell which is mainly a trial to see how it goes.

Then get yourself a stat counter of some sort so you can see who visits what and from where, always interesting.