Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Yeah, coming months focusing much more on useful stuff.  Being paid to be a perpetual traveller experiencing and writing about my favourite niches is the ultimate goal.

Gary Arndt living the dream.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
So yeah let's have a thread for chatting about making $ online.

Some time in the next 3-12 months I intend to "retire", and become a perpetual tourist.

No, I have no decent money reserves.  I make a good living at my 9-5 job, but if that went away I couldn't pay my rent more than a few months in advance.

No, I have no inheritance.  My family is feral dirt-poor.  I'm one of the few who escaped from working "on the land". (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Thanks to Al for giving me impetus to air this journey it in it's own right, publicly:

Want to split the last of this crap off into a '.com or bust' thread ashtor?

I know quite a few people who survive quite reasonably on the road and live to work to live to work etc   :)

The Ash's Notes version is that aside from my consulting stuff which will be my bread'n'butter, I intend to make an income from each of my passions in some way - and hopefully enough from each stream to keep me engaged in such passions.

This may or may not work - not many people just abandon a great and safe job to rely on their own awesomeness - but it will be a worthwhile journey either way.

:thumbsup:

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG
All the best with your plans, have been looking at doing something similar myself over the next year or so, however outside of the 3d modeling i have no skills to bring in an income working for myself, so will looking at getting work around the place.
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline YMCMB

Ash, you read "The 4 hour work week" by Tim Ferris? Will definitely shed some light on what you wish to embark on.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ash, you read "The 4 hour work week" by Tim Ferris? Will definitely shed some light on what you wish to embark on.

Yeah that book's a decent fire-under-the-arse kinda thing, Tim is a bit of a wanker though - some good thoughts and ideas were elicited so it's definitely worth a read.

Of course I've read probably 5,000 motivational books in my time, but it wasn't until I decided for myself I needed to escape the rat race that I did anything about it.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Well yes it does, it all stems from there, if it's good you have a head start and continuing benefit from it otherwise yes you do have shit.

What you've got, there's a term for it, it's called "an idea".

Not to piss in your slippers as you've apparently had success in previous ventures, but a URL and an idea is just a fart and a dream.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
If you are going to do a ranking site on anything, I have had a few ideas about implementing this myself on my own sites. I have not seen a restaurant review site yet that normalises the scores by asking people who have done at least 2 reviews to compare their new review to older ones, and adjusting the weighting of scores to match.
This catches out the people that put either 5/5 or 0/5 for everything.
You can also weight people who do more reviews and include more content with their reviews higher, I think IMDB does that aspect.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

What you've got, there's a term for it, it's called "an idea".

Not to piss in your slippers as you've apparently had success in previous ventures, but a URL and an idea is just a fart and a dream.

Depends who has the idea Ash, some people can make the right idea work, others, in fact most, are indeed a fart and a dream.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Depends who has the idea Ash, some people can make the right idea work, others, in fact most, are indeed a fart and a dream.

Still nothin.

What do you need to get moving Dodger? What help?
C'mon, do it!