Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

The servo stuff is mostly gimmicky - at least on this model. 90% of the feedback is just bouncing around.....

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
I've been thinking about getting a Simworx ever since I saw it in action at MM a while back. Spoke to Jack Klaver about it when I saw him at Winton last week. Are you happy with it mate, anything you would change ?

Scott,
When I was looking at one I tossed up between the CXC from the US and Simworx, I opted for Simworx because its Australian and the CXC is double the price (not including import or GST taxes).

The basis of purchase was I had the room (in the cellar) and I am sick of getting to a race track on a Thursday and having to learn a circuit whilst still posting a time. As an educational tool it works, doing say Clipsal, or Indy Gold Coast or Homebush means that you know where everything is before getting in a real car.

The whole basis of R factor is free to whatever you want to download, the choice of cars is good and always growing, same with the tracks where instead of doing a reccie in Tas for Mt Arrowsmith someone has the whole stage on R Factor so you can drive it over and over. I have done Clipsal say 600-700 laps in test mode and race mode. The cars I'm driving are as close to what I have (360 and Lola). The dynamics are as close to the 360CH as one can get from the starter motor to the throwback on gear shift. The 360CH has always had a tendancy to understeer and this is very close to the real thing. The Lola, I'm using a Lotus 49 where they only have later F5000's and they dont suit. The 911 GT3 in the Cup range is very close to the real thing. I now have an appreciation of anyone who has posted a real time lap time at Bathurst as its daunting to say the least.

The cost of Simworx isnt cheap but its well made. Ash mentioned one could be built for 5k, if done by someone who can set it up then maybe, but the paint scheme I went for was Red Bull and the finish is awesome. Plus I didnt have the time or the effort to build one from scratch.

I probably didnt need the motion stuff but thought why not, the motion system is small electric actuators which are novel to say the least, (i got sick initially then one gets use to it. I have it turned off if im learning a new circuit and concentrate on the cornering and braking points.

Mallala is a not as real as the circuit but I found PI spot on, Clipsal is spot on and say the bumps at Homebush as true. Think of the unit as one big computer and the 3 screen is a must. R factor (like any windows based product) has its issues, where it can crash, I havent tried the R Factor 2 yet, as its still in development. The amount of set up per car is good however there is only overcast and blue sky conditons, no rain for some reason. I'm happy with the service I got (they flew over from Melb to set it up as it had to go in an elevator go get in the cellar).

The 430ch is a bit off, the GT3 version is close to real but no SLS benz's yet.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
Dropped round goober's last night to get familiar with Phillip Island...

When are you due to try the real thing?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Scott,
When I was looking at one I tossed up between the CXC from the US and Simworx, I opted for Simworx because its Australian and the CXC is double the price (not including import or GST taxes).

The basis of purchase was I had the room (in the cellar) and I am sick of getting to a race track on a Thursday and having to learn a circuit whilst still posting a time. As an educational tool it works, doing say Clipsal, or Indy Gold Coast or Homebush means that you know where everything is before getting in a real car.

The whole basis of R factor is free to whatever you want to download, the choice of cars is good and always growing, same with the tracks where instead of doing a reccie in Tas for Mt Arrowsmith someone has the whole stage on R Factor so you can drive it over and over. I have done Clipsal say 600-700 laps in test mode and race mode. The cars I'm driving are as close to what I have (360 and Lola). The dynamics are as close to the 360CH as one can get from the starter motor to the throwback on gear shift. The 360CH has always had a tendancy to understeer and this is very close to the real thing. The Lola, I'm using a Lotus 49 where they only have later F5000's and they dont suit. The 911 GT3 in the Cup range is very close to the real thing. I now have an appreciation of anyone who has posted a real time lap time at Bathurst as its daunting to say the least.

The cost of Simworx isnt cheap but its well made. Ash mentioned one could be built for 5k, if done by someone who can set it up then maybe, but the paint scheme I went for was Red Bull and the finish is awesome. Plus I didnt have the time or the effort to build one from scratch.

I probably didnt need the motion stuff but thought why not, the motion system is small electric actuators which are novel to say the least, (i got sick initially then one gets use to it. I have it turned off if im learning a new circuit and concentrate on the cornering and braking points.

Mallala is a not as real as the circuit but I found PI spot on, Clipsal is spot on and say the bumps at Homebush as true. Think of the unit as one big computer and the 3 screen is a must. R factor (like any windows based product) has its issues, where it can crash, I havent tried the R Factor 2 yet, as its still in development. The amount of set up per car is good however there is only overcast and blue sky conditons, no rain for some reason. I'm happy with the service I got (they flew over from Melb to set it up as it had to go in an elevator go get in the cellar).

The 430ch is a bit off, the GT3 version is close to real but no SLS benz's yet.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Brenton, that was very useful. I suspected the motion side of it was a waste as I have heard mixed reports on it. I think you have to spend serious money to get a motion set up that is anything like the real thing. The programe sounds interesting. I thought it took a team of people ages to map and programe a circuit in? If an individual has put Mt Arrowsmith into it, I imagine it can't be so involved now.
Any idea when the R Factor 2 comes to market ? Makes sense to wait until it arrives, unless it's still ages away.

I like the idea of a local operation too. Always close to hand with support when you get into trouble :)

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Thanks for the detailed explanation Brenton, that was very useful. I suspected the motion side of it was a waste as I have heard mixed reports on it. I think you have to spend serious money to get a motion set up that is anything like the real thing. The programe sounds interesting. I thought it took a team of people ages to map and programe a circuit in? If an individual has put Mt Arrowsmith into it, I imagine it can't be so involved now.
Any idea when the R Factor 2 comes to market ? Makes sense to wait until it arrives, unless it's still ages away.

I like the idea of a local operation too. Always close to hand with support when you get into trouble :)

R Factor 2 is released in Beta format, try http://www.rfactorcentral.com

or http://ausfactor.com

R Factor central is your one stop free download centre for cars, tracks etc. I havent loaded R factor 2 as yet, R Factor is still great and am still experimenting.

Coffs Harbour http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Coffs%20Harbour%20Road%20Course

Mt Arrowsmith http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Mt%20Arrowsmith

Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
For anyone contemplating simulators that doesn't want the full setup yet

Keep an eye on logitechshop or ozbargain
Periodically they have the logitech g27 wheel and pedals on special for under half price

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
FWIW I did maybe 30 laps of the simulator on Goob's setup then went to the track. My very first lap even amongst traffic is still one of my fastest. For some reason I got a few seconds quicker a couple laps later, but since then am struggling to beat my dumb-ass orienteering time, whereas most people say they improve by 15-30 seconds from their first lap. :?

Offline blackr35

FWIW I did maybe 30 laps of the simulator on Goob's setup then went to the track. My very first lap even amongst traffic is still one of my fastest. For some reason I got a few seconds quicker a couple laps later, but since then am struggling to beat my dumb-ass orienteering time, whereas most people say they improve by 15-30 seconds from their first lap. :?

Do you think it helped? Phillip Island stumped me so simulator time sounds awesome...