Offline app

Free snipes 10 seconds before the end which in some cases is not good enough.

If you pay a small fee it snipes within 1 second of the end which is a lot better, never missed an auction with the paid snipes but missed heaps with the free snipes........

Yes, but who is going to dummy bid less than 10 seconds before an auction ends?  Chances that someone is going to outbid a dummy bid with that much time remaining are pretty minimal.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I missed out on a meet'n'greet with Justin Bieber for my daughter when a sniper beat me in the last second.  Just as well - she doesn't even like him any more. :doh:

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
I missed out on a meet'n'greet with Justin Bieber for my daughter when a sniper beat me in the last second.  Just as well - she doesn't even like him any more. :doh:

Money and your daughters reputation kept in tack well done by the sniper.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Mark was looking forward to seeing Justin and he still likes him.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Yes, but who is going to dummy bid less than 10 seconds before an auction ends?  Chances that someone is going to outbid a dummy bid with that much time remaining are pretty minimal.

Don't you believe it!!!!!  I have seen sellers setup snipers on their own auctions to push the price up.

A mate of mine collects old toys, he trades and makes a surprisingly nice profit on them. He quit buying from eBay because of the sellers shilling the auctions.

I have watched the auctions in the last 5 seconds and I have seen it happen......

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

Don't you believe it!!!!!  I have seen sellers setup snipers on their own auctions to push the price up.

A mate of mine collects old toys, he trades and makes a surprisingly nice profit on them. He quit buying from eBay because of the sellers shilling the auctions.

I have watched the auctions in the last 5 seconds and I have seen it happen......

It's a bit hard to set up a sniper when you have no idea what his maximum price is. You can bump up the price in the last seconds by "x" amount; but you risk "winning" your own auction if the snipers unknown maximum bid is less than "x".

I have never lost an auction using bidnip unless there is another genuine bidder using a snipe program who is prepared to pay more than I am.

If you watch the last seconds of any reasonably hot ebay item you will always see the bids come in rapid fire in the last seconds. Just about every serious ebay buyer uses a sniping program now. You can set your bid times to fractions of a second if I recall correctly.

Offline app

It's never happened to me.

In any case, the risk for the seller is that they push the price high enough that they'll have to re-list it.

Don't know what the deal is in withdrawing bids, but eBay should bring in steep charges for withdrawing bids or pulling out of a purchase.  It would discourage the buyer, or seller as the case may be, from putting in a dummy bid.

If I get outbid, it doesn't bother me.  I bid what I think the item is worth.  If someone outbids me, be it the seller or genuine buyer, I see it as their loss.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

It's a bit hard to set up a sniper when you have no idea what his maximum price is.

Just using the Toys as an example, the seller would list the item for $1, then setup the sniper for $498.

Let's say the next highest bidder is $300 and you setup a snipe for $500, you would get it for $302.50(or whatever). But with the $498 snipe by the seller, you still win the item but for $500 and the seller gets what he wants for it. Or if it doesn't sell, he just relists and claims the fees as you said.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Don't know what the deal is in withdrawing bids, but eBay should bring in steep charges for withdrawing bids or pulling out of a purchase.  It would discourage the buyer, or seller as the case may be, from putting in a dummy bid.

You can withdraw a bid up to 12 hours before the Auction ends, in the last 12 hours you can not withdraw a bid or end an auction.......

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Just using the Toys as an example, the seller would list the item for $1, then setup the sniper for $498.

Let's say the next highest bidder is $300 and you setup a snipe for $500, you would get it for $302.50(or whatever). But with the $498 snipe by the seller, you still win the item but for $500 and the seller gets what he wants for it. Or if it doesn't sell, he just relists and claims the fees as you said.

Ok, I see what you mean.
That sort of tactic doesn't bother me as I always set my snipe price on the "fair value" that I am willing to pay for an item. If it goes for more than that I couldn't care less as I wouldn't have bought it anyway. If I end up paying my maximum "fair value" because of the sellers set up, I've still only paid my "fair value" that I was happy to pay in any case.