Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I bought the little lady a iPad Mini and she uses it all the time. She is very happy with it.

Offline app

IIRC mhh got one?  I'd be interested to hear his comments on it.

I've never been sold on the e-book concept.  Tried it on the iPad, just doesn't cut it for me.  I don't know if it's because of the different feel from a book, or the way it's lit up etc.  Having said that, I'd definitely go an e-book if one appealed to me.

Edit: I was referring to Kindle Paperwhite in the first line.

Offline a.taylor

Kindle paper white is the way to go. If you turn off the wireless then you will get weeks worth of reading even with the back light on. The lowest brightness setting is an order of magnitude lower than anything I have ever seen on a tablet which is excellent for reading before sleep.

With regards to the touch/swipe to change page. A simple touch on almost the entire screen will progress to the next page (no swipe required but does also work). To go back a page you simply touch in the left hand margin and to bring up the menu for brightness, home, search etc. you tap along the top edge of the screen. It works nicely.

Dick smith have exclusive distribution of it in Aus so you will have to find one of their stores or grab it from them online.

Offline a.taylor

IIRC mhh got one?  I'd be interested to hear his comments on it.

I've never been sold on the e-book concept.  Tried it on the iPad, just doesn't cut it for me.  I don't know if it's because of the different feel from a book, or the way it's lit up etc.  Having said that, I'd definitely go an e-book if one appealed to me.

Using an e-ink reader like a kindle is an entirely different experience to using a tablet for reading and much more pleasant. The device is lighter (easier to manage than a book in my opinion) and as you mention the screen illumination becomes a non-issue with such a device.

Offline app

I take it, using the word "s c r e e n" without spaces changes it to "I like hairy arses"?

Yep it does.

Offline app

Thanks for the feeback a.taylor.  I'll see if I can try one in the DSE store near my work in the city.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Another PaperWhite fan here.  We have iPads and iPad Mini but the main reader in the house prefers the Kindle and I do too.