Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I take it, using the word "s c r e e n" without spaces changes it to "I like hairy arses"?

Yep it does.

Mondi, time to fix this dumbness.

Offline theonlydjorkaeff

Kobo Aurora is the one I just bought, it's a beast! Love it

Offline app

Those of you with the Kindle Paperwhite, did you get 3G?  Is it worth the extra money?  If I understand correctly it just means you can download a book anywhere, whereas with WiFi you can only download a book anywhere that has WiFi?

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Bought my kindle PW with wifi only. No real benefit with 3G as chances are you'll be near a wifi network before u finish reading one of the ebooks you might have downloaded
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline a.taylor

WiFi only. Its very rare that I will actually browse and find a new book on the kindle itself. Even more rare that I would do this whilst out and about. I usually find something to read whilst on the PC, purchase it there and then just flick on the WiFi for the sync to happen. If needs be I can always connect to the internet through WiFI to the phone.

Offline app

Just pre-ordered the new Kindle Paperwhite. :) It appears to be the improved version of the original.

I went to a Dick Smith store a couple of days ago and asked if there was a new Kindle coming out.  No was the answer :o

Lucky I decided to wait and look into it.  Today I get an email from Amazon announcing the new PW :p

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Can anyone tell me why, if you have an IPad,  you would bother with a separate reader ?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Can anyone tell me why, if you have an IPad,  you would bother with a separate reader ?

Because the Kindle PW is much nicer to read books on.  The iPad's bright backlighting is harsh on the eyes. The PW is lighter and much easier to handle. Better battery life and easier store access.

Offline app

Because the Kindle PW is much nicer to read books on.  The iPad's bright backlighting is harsh on the eyes. The PW is lighter and much easier to handle. Better battery life and easier store access.

What he said.

I notice if I use the iPad for prolonged periods of time I get sore eyes from the light.  The Kindle is the closest thing to a book so it's much easier on the eyes.

Apparently the battery on the PW lasts for 2 months if the wifi is turned off.

Offline a.taylor

Using an e-ink reader like a kindle is an entirely different experience to using a tablet for reading and much more pleasant. The device is lighter (easier to manage than a book in my opinion) and as you mention the s.creen illumination becomes a non-issue with such a device.

Device weight and s.creen illumination are the two points that kill reading on a tablet for me.