Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

My wife wants a ebook reader. We have been out and seen the Kobo, Kindle and looked at the tablets from Samsung, Nexus and the iPad mini. She prefers the display on the tablets over the ebook readers.

Any recommendations or opinions?

Offline 993tits

• Pepé Le Porsche

My wife wants a ebook reader. We have been out and seen the Kobo, Kindle and looked at the tablets from Samsung, Nexus and the iPad mini. She prefers the display on the tablets over the ebook readers.

My wife has a Kindle and doesnt use it for anything other than Audio-books whilst she is exercising! She uses my ipad for book reading when she can get it out of my brief case. She also has these books made out of......of, whats that stuff..........paper! She's funny like that.  :confused:
Always Gunna

Offline mtarone

Whatever will keep her happy.  :D

I have a Kindle Fire that I like reading with. Perhaps take a squiz at the new HD version of that.

Offline Paulstar

I'd say tablet simply because once she has one, she'll keep using it.

Offline dkabab

ones using E-INK will be better to read, purely because it wont strain your eyes so much.

LCD screens will strain eyes more, but are backlit, so can be used in the dark (in bed/on a plane)
and they do a lot more than just books

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm waiting on the local availability of the Kindle Paperwhite. This should combine the best of both worlds.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

Offline DJS

I have the Kindle Keyboard 3G. As someone who enjoys reading it's been one of the best investments I have ever made. It is light and easy to hold, and the ink display doesn't strain the eyes. Personally I can't stand reading books on iPads or other tablets as I find it strains my eyes too much.

Another big plus is the free 3G globally. You can search for and download books with it in minutes - very handy.

Offline blackr35

I read books on kindle for iPhone. I prefer the set up to iBooks.  My iPhone rarely leaves my side, and my crappy long vision is offset by superhuman near vision, so reading 400+ pages on an iPhone works well for me. Amazon have a much bigger range of books than iBooks. I had a Kindle before they officially came here - never used it after kindle for iPhone came out. I prefer the iPhone to the iPad or Kindle online - just more comfortable with it.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Anyone up on the latest Kindle kinda things?

The gf uses her old one every day, but it's the clunky e-ink with no touch and stuff - usable, but probably worth upgrading to something with optional backlight (so it doesn't drain juice too much all the time).

I had a play with the Kindle Fire today, but it's too heavy and bulky to read in bed with. The Kindle Touch seemed about right however it doesn't have any buttons at all, I think the option to turn pages with buttons like usual rather than HAVING to swipe the I like hairy arses is useful - I know at least that on my phone I prefer to use the volume controls most of the time.

Also looked at tablets - but really that's massive overkill.

Edit: looking up Kindle Paperwhite as mentioned above - didn't see that one in any stores I visited today.