Offline Paulstar

i've got video on the camera, no card.

Can't get the video off?

Any tips?

Oh yes, I recall now taking pictures without a card in place. I completely forgot about them and stumbled upon them much later. I think I used a cable to get the pictures off, but one of the pictures I distinctly remember getting off the camera memory and onto the computer. No idea about video sorry.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.
Futurism loves his Sony RX100 and they get massive rave reviews. I almost bought one but I wanted  to be able to add an external mic and some other features so I went for a DSLR sized camera.

The Sony RX100 would be a great choice for a pocket camera for her.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Offline app

I think one of the photography threads has a good discussion for this.  I bought a Sony RX100 on the advice of other members on here.

It's a great camera, definitely up there for a non-SLR.  I can't say it's the best as I haven't tried others.

It's on the pricey side, but was worth it for the person I bought it for.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A burgandy car.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
My daughter heads overseas shortly and was going to lug her SLR.  I've told her it's too big.  She wants more than a phone camera - mostly for shooting faces as she parties across the Continent.  Any thoughts as to a small camera that would suit?  I've offered my Canon point'n'shoot but that's not good enough for her.  :rolleyes:

The little Cannon Point and Shoot's are great for travel, I used one back in 2009, cost only about $300 and i've literally just opened up the photo's and you wouldn't have guessed the photos were taken 4 years ago by a point and shoot (and i'm comparing to what I have now which is a Cannon 60D SLR), so I could imagine the current Cannon point and shoots if used correctly would be better than the old one I had (which incidentally got stolen while in Morocco). At night the little cameras arn't too good.

Good idea not lugging an SLR  around Europe, it was ok when I was living there and had my own cars and didn't have to rush from destination to destination. But it still got annoying sometimes, I definitely wouldn't do it while living out of a suitcase and partying, it will only get broken, stolen or she would just end up missing out on photo opportunities because she couldn't be bothered taking it out all the time.

TBH a lot of the time I just reverted back to my iPhone unless the SLR was already on my neck being all typical tourist like.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The little Cannon Point and Shoot's are great for travel, I used one back in 2009, cost only about $300 and i've literally just opened up the photo's and you wouldn't have guessed the photos were taken 4 years ago by a point and shoot (and i'm comparing to what I have now which is a Cannon 60D SLR), so I could imagine the current Cannon point and shoots if used correctly would be better than the old one I had (which incidentally got stolen while in Morocco). At night the little cameras arn't too good.

Good idea not lugging an SLR  around Europe, it was ok when I was living there and had my own cars and didn't have to rush from destination to destination. But it still got annoying sometimes, I definitely wouldn't do it while living out of a suitcase and partying, it will only get broken, stolen or she would just end up missing out on photo opportunities because she couldn't be bothered taking it out all the time.

TBH a lot of the time I just reverted back to my iPhone unless the SLR was already on my neck being all typical tourist like.

I tried lugging an SLR round Europe once, never again.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
as others mention, I love my Sony RX100
When overseas and wandering around cities endlessly it never leaves my hand unless I am climbing something in which case it fits in the pockets on shorts or cargo pants

I wear it with a wrist strap off a nintendo wii nun chuck controller

The best feature is the low light performance due to the very fast lense, I hate flash and like to covertly take shots indoors
The next best feature is the intelligent auto plus feature, which does frame stacking in low light, you point, hold down the button, it takes 5 or so 1/50 shots of darkness, overlays and aligns them to get a perfect night exposure
Finally, the 20 megapixel sensor is useful due to the lack of zoom (3x I think), this gives you a big range to crop and still keep a pic that will easily fill a computer screen.

If I dropped my RX100 today, I would buy the same again tomorrow (maybe the version 2)

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline dkabab

as everyone has said, the rx100 is one of the best compacts on the market. the new version 2 basically adds a flip out screen, and from memory is going to be $100 more (i think thats what the sony rep told me) and is due out in stores in 2 weeks.

other compacts to look at

canon g15
panasonic lx7

for her needs, if image quality isn't the highest thing on her agenda, then compacts such as the following will offer more zoom and things like wifi etc...

sony wx300
canon sx280
sony hx50
panansonic tz40

Offline dkabab

i've got video on the camera, no card.

Can't get the video off?

Any tips?

ok, they only way to get stuff off thats on the camera is to plug the camera into computer via usb, but make sure theres NO MEMORY CARD in the camera. then it should come up as another mass storage device like a usb.
Videos should save in the same file directory on the camera as on the sd card. should be in Private\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM

just copy the files and past to your computer