• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Have so far determined it's not endorsed by Buzz Aldrin or Buzz Lightyear.

Offline Iggy_Type_R

it's like twitter... I guess.

:doh:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

No not really - I'm seeing some great potential here the more I poke around and think about what it opens up.

Other sites/apps have leveraged twitter/facebook/maps/flickr/etc to do interesting things, this buzz will make a lot of things redundant, and open up many more windows of opportunity for leveraging geo-information.  I think I'm excited about what is going on here - but also dubious as to how the end products will be affected by ads etc, we'll see.

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Ash, I've been developing website and shit since 1995... and I have NO IDEA what you just said!  :tilt:

:D

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
No not really - I'm seeing some great potential here the more I poke around and think about what it opens up.

Other sites/apps have leveraged twitter/facebook/maps/flickr/etc to do interesting things, this buzz will make a lot of things redundant, and open up many more windows of opportunity for leveraging geo-information.  I think I'm excited about what is going on here - but also dubious as to how the end products will be affected by ads etc, we'll see.

The integration to mail for your friend/follow list is really sneaky. Extending mail to also be a social gateway is rather f*cking bright. Almost makes up for what a piece of shite Wave was.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

It's not enabled on my account yet so I can't see how it works, can only do it via the site, it also fails on my iPhone, but I can browse.

I've got a feeling we'll shortly be able to use it to intelligently weed out the "social" stuff I'm not interested in - like everyone who needs to give those "I'm having toast" type of updates, instead focussing on some updates of higher quality information.

There's several applications in my head I haven't bothered to pursue as yet because the big players were still somewhat crippled in the information contained within an update.  Here's a simple example - a spotted feed - with a bit of smarts and hooking into the right tech you can enable anyone in Oz (or the world) using Buzz etc to be contributors to car spotting.  There's some stalkerish aspects but that's the way tech is going.  Things along the lines of the Trapster app is another that will soon be able to be made as a web interface, proper live updates on traffic/roadworks/speed cameras/stuff.  Also a good step forward for finding a way to harness something useful out of this augmented reality stuff - brain is ticking...