• www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
Ok I'm on board - no idea what's going on yet... :boggled:

http://profiles.google.com/ashsimmonds

(I think this is how Twitter started :? )

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok, having played with it for not very long, I'm "liking" it so far.

It's obviously very facebookish, but immediately it comes across as less... annoying, and right off the bat it's easy to properly classify people into initial categories of friends/acquaintaces/fuckbuddies/followers etc.  I think FB eventually had something like this - but it had already lost me.

Also when you comment on a conversation that has been superseded, it bumps it to the top, much like a forum.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Been a week - quite like this, and the uptake of interesting people from my Twitter and Facebook feed is good, and the posts/discussions are getting better as we get a feel for it.

So yeah, it's kinda like an amalgamation - you've got the (non-annoying) Facebook features, but it's an open area so other people can "follow" you (subscribe to your posts) as well, like Twitter. 

However, it's very simple to post something *just* to a limited number of people, who you can define in a "circle".

Offline fivesix

Been a week - quite like this, and the uptake of interesting people from my Twitter and Facebook feed is good, and the posts/discussions are getting better as we get a feel for it.

So yeah, it's kinda like an amalgamation - you've got the (non-annoying) Facebook features, but it's an open area so other people can "follow" you (subscribe to your posts) as well, like Twitter. 

However, it's very simple to post something *just* to a limited number of people, who you can define in a "circle".

Please tell me I am in your fuckbuddies circle?

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hmmmm, can't get in.

Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
I'll give it a go when it goes public or I get an invite but overall I'm disappointed.

Basically Google has the money and resources to do anything yet they choose to take on Facebook and Twitter by combining attributes of each and calling it a social network.

It's biggest claim to fame is that it's "not Facebook" and possibly the only reason why so many people have taken it up so far is because of the false sense of superiority associated with the invite-only sign up process. Apparently the gender ratio at the moment is 88% male!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Basically Google has the money and resources to do anything yet they choose to take on Facebook and Twitter by combining attributes of each and calling it a social network.

They've done it pretty well though.  Usually when you jump on board a new rollout, you check in a few times and see if anything's happening - nope - check in a few days later, wonder what the point is...  This has been different, the interesting tech and media savvy people are the ones first on board, and yeah so far it's mostly overlapping with stuff being shared on FB/Twitter, and also helping each other out trying to figger G+ out - but the conversations involved become more coherent.

The people who use FB/Twitter for spouting banal crap about their lives will wonder what the point of G+ is, and go back to what they're comfortable with.

It's biggest claim to fame is that it's "not Facebook" and possibly the only reason why so many people have taken it up so far is because of the false sense of superiority associated with the invite-only sign up process. Apparently the gender ratio at the moment is 88% male!

Gender matters not much when it's interesting - take AE - however I don't know where you get your stats from, I'm seeing pretty close to 50% ratio in my feed.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Oh also - I've instigated possibly the world's first GooglePlus meetup - happening at the pub this Sunday. :thumbsup:

Offline CortinaD