Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Clear your history before Google overhaul

PM
 By Eleanor Bell and staff
 Posted February 29, 2012 20:25:28

Google's new privacy policy will affect millions of people. (Nic MacBean, file photo: ABC News)

Time is running out to clear your browsing history before Google's new privacy policies come into force.

In the past, data collected in the course of a web search would be kept separate from your YouTube viewing activity or your Google email usage and map queries.

But on Thursday the search engine giant will change the way it collects and collates data about its users, saying it is simplifying things and offering a better individual browsing experience.

Google's new privacy policy will affect millions of those with a Google account, including anyone who use Gmail, YouTube or any of the company's other 60-plus services.

It will also affect anyone with a smartphone using Google's android operating system.

Seamus Byrne, editor of consumer technology site CNET Australia, says Google will build a "much more intelligent picture of who you are".

"They'll target ads to you a lot better based on that information," he said.

"Google's promising that they'll only use it internally, but Google is now an incredibly large company and they own one of the world's biggest digital advertising networks."

But consumer and privacy advocates say the company already holds too much personal information.

Governments and organisations can, through the courts, demand access to the information.

In fact Google already publishes a list of what governments have asked it for.

"The classic argument here is that there is a slippery slope and at some point Google might choose to sell this combined data to other companies," Mr Byrne said.

"I think it would take a lot for Google to make that choice, but if at some point they made that information accessible - to the classic examples being insurance companies or government - that could be very dangerous.

"So I think that's the key issue here - how dangerous is this information if it does go to the wrong people."

Increasing concerns over online data collection by companies like Facebook and Google have prompted US president Barack Obama to put forward a privacy bill of rights, and Europe is examining its regulatory environment.

But Mr Byrne says Australia has been quiet about these adjustment's to Google's preferences.

He says if consumers are concerned, they should delete their entire web history.

Even if users "opt out", Google will continue to gather and store information. After 18 months that data will be partially severed from your account profile.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-29/users-urged-to-clear-history-on-eve-of-google-privacy-changes/3860798

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/320137#ixzz1ng76j7qk

how to delete your google browsing history.

Will be interesting to see what the courts say about it. Google are out of control in so many ways.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

No one has mentioned does this apply if you have an account and are logged in or can they just track anyone ?

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

No one has mentioned does this apply if you have an account and are logged in or can they just track anyone ?

I wasnt logged in and i thought I'd log in and do my privacy change thingy.  Well on my search history it had the recent home theatre forums I had logged in on just before, so in answer to your question it does seem to track your internet habits even when you're not logged in.

IMHO, that in itself is an invasion of privacy and we have this invasion forced upon us by a behemoth that has no competition.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I wasnt logged in and i thought I'd log in and do my privacy change thingy.  Well on my search history it had the recent home theatre forums I had logged in on just before, so in answer to your question it does seem to track your internet habits even when you're not logged in.

IMHO, that in itself is an invasion of privacy and we have this invasion forced upon us by a behemoth that has no competition.

If thats the case it's bad news, if Google ever goes feral we're all in big trouble, it's the only pure thing left on the web, and it's practically indispensable.
You Tube is now plastered in ads.