Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Alright getting very close to replacing the Omnia now, so wandered into on of those multi-telco shops tonight to play with a few of the options. Played with the Iphone 4 (naturally), the nokia N8, Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S and the Blackberry Torch. Then I stumbled across the HTC Desire Z, I had never heard of the Z. I had figured (much to my distaste) that I would end up getting an iphone as I'm just ready to have something that is simple to operate apps on (mainly the TfL one so I can find my way around this city!!), but then I remembered there was limitations to the iphone 3's bluetooth (pretty sure the 3 could only bluetooth to other 3's.), is it possible to sync the iphone 4 with any item or phone? This would be a deal breaker I think as I only bluetooth any files on my omnia to the pc or other phones.

So back to the Z, anyone know anything about them? Been doing a bit of research and they look pretty good. I originally wanted a touch screen with a slide out keypad but think it would be a lot easier to type large emails and the like on a QWERTY keyboard. Can the HTC used pretty much all apps, do they have a app store like Apple? I don't need to do too much geeky stuff so don't want it to be too complicated.

Does anyone have any opinions on the others that I suggested.

Offline Dave_A

Dunno about the Z,but I've had the HTC Desire for about a year now,I preferred over the Iphone I had in just about every way.Problem is repairs,the Desire (and some other models) suffer from what seems to be a CPU issue,where it overheats and just shuts off.
Just google" HTC Desire shuts off" and you'll see what I mean. What's worse is HTC's repair centre,more often than not they will send your phone back in exactly the same way,which results in customer anger and frustration, understandably.
So not only have you been without a phone for 3 weeks,you have to send it back the same day for another 3 weeks,this to me is infuriatingly bad service.
I thought it hard to believe a company would do the above to anyone,that was until my own phone shit itself. I sent it off to repair and was actually not suprised to see returned not repaired,so I shipped it back to repairer the same day and vowed (like many others) never to buy another HTC product ever.Treating us like fucking idiots will bite you in the ass eventually.
Next phone will be samsung galaxy s.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

Thanks for the reply, I had never heard of any problems with HTC.

I'm interested to hear what Ash has to say once he has recovered sometime tomorrow lol as HTC is choice of weapons at the moment. Mind you we're been watching a few videos and reading some reviews and the Z is looking good. Mind you now the missus wants one as well. Is that safe having two phones the same.

Offline Dave_A

Is that safe having two phones the same.

Having the same phones is ideal IMO, you can transfer files and apps easier and general use of the phone becomes less problematic as both of you share the same OS,hence are well aware of its pro's and cons.
For example,my wife has an Iphone and I have (well it's in repairs) the htc,I can't get stuff off her nor can she off me (fucking Itunes :thumbsdown:) however,if we both had the same phone things would be much much easier. Hope this helps.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
With Android you can basically make your phone into anything you like, it's still not fully mature yet, some bugs here and there, but once you spend some time seeing it up how you want it it's a beautiful thing.

If you do file transfer stuff it's a doddle on this, usb plug and it's instantly a 32gb portable drive. That said, if you're on an iphone just use dropbox.

I now do probably more than 50% of my web stuff on my DHD, it's actually faster than my desktop. :doh:

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

Yes you have :doh: :p

http://aussieexotics.com/forum/gadgets-and-technology/official-apple-iphone-thread-pros-cons-loves-hates-etc-1685.msg115282.html#msg115282
Hahaha whoops, well to refute my previous comments I now think that typing emails are going to be a pain in the arse with a keypad so have decided that the qwerty will be alright. Saying that playing with the Z yesterday it is a lot easier to type on then the N97 as the keyboard is well spead.

Offline fivesix

With Android you can basically make your phone into anything you like, it's still not fully mature yet, some bugs here and there, but once you spend some time seeing it up how you want it it's a beautiful thing.

If your an uber nerd...  :p

Buy an iphone and let other people do the shit for you!  As much as I hate the fact that everyone has an iphone, I still cant bring myself to move to something else....

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Buy an iphone and let other people do the shit for you!  As much as I hate the fact that everyone has an iphone, I still cant bring myself to move to something else....

I agree, IPhone is just too easy and works. BUT this does sound interesting -

I now do probably more than 50% of my web stuff on my DHD, it's actually faster than my desktop

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

Which brings me back to one of my original questions. If I take a photo on my iphone 4 can I bluetooth it to my missus' non-iphone or my non-mac pc?