Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Anyone have experience with these?

What I am after is a landline phone with video capabilities, that has a fast dial button on it, so my young daughters can call me on it anytime they wish, just as they do on the normal phone.
So the video phone must be able to call me on my mobile by video. I am not interested in internet based video phones or skype based phones and so on.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I believe they all require IP data, its just a matter of if they are using the internet in the middle or not.
We have a mix of polycom systems that use ISDN onramps as a backup to the standard internet service.
You can direct dial onramp to onramp.
I think thats as close as a fixed landline you can get.

Add to that, I am not sure Telstra even sell onramp switched services anymore.

For it to get to your mobile you will need an app that either uses a service to convert it to something your mobile can handle (like skype or facetime), or I believe there is a polycom app, but then you are back to relying on the internet as far as I know.

this will probably cost you a lot

A better option would be skype from a fixed appliance, tv's have skype clients built in these days, but you said no internet

best I can do sorry

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
I believe they all require IP data, its just a matter of if they are using the internet in the middle or not.
We have a mix of polycom systems that use ISDN onramps as a backup to the standard internet service.
You can direct dial onramp to onramp.
I think thats as close as a fixed landline you can get.

Add to that, I am not sure Telstra even sell onramp switched services anymore.

For it to get to your mobile you will need an app that either uses a service to convert it to something your mobile can handle (like skype or facetime), or I believe there is a polycom app, but then you are back to relying on the internet as far as I know.

this will probably cost you a lot

A better option would be skype from a fixed appliance, tv's have skype clients built in these days, but you said no internet

best I can do sorry

Correct IP using SIP or H323/64 gateway....typically a min of 3meg per direction for minimum video and audio quality with min packet loss

Soon you will see Telcos offering services (will be called Callway)

You need an MCU to undertake the translation on the call to route it so it's really not possible in the home market unless you go with a Telco.

If you are looking for a Softvideo phone function Polycom, Lifesize and Cisco offer them but these are typically aimed at corporate clients that either have MCU and and can translate SIP/H323/264 between different devices and or handle multi party calls at one time.

Not sure if IINet are offering anything yet they might be worth looking into as the are IP based...otherwise check out the Vendors I mentioned above.

Remember it's all about quality of the call.....we have all had the Skype experience because it offers no QOS (Quality Of Service) hence you get drop out etc.....the type of solutions mentioned above are provided with QOS

Otherwise you are limited to mobile phones that will offer Wireless as the enabler much like FaceTime...and that of course is limited to networks you can connect too

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
IIRC there's a Videophone by ACNpacific - we have 3 of them at each of our businesses and it is VOIP based - very easy to use with onscreen phonebook, speed dial and the clarity is quite good.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline 986986

• Drives: 997.2 S PDK; '12 Cayenne Diesel (family bus)
IIRC there's a Videophone by ACNpacific - we have 3 of them at each of our businesses and it is VOIP based - very easy to use with onscreen phonebook, speed dial and the clarity is quite good.

How do you do a multiparty call ie- bring in all 3 locations via video on one cal...do you need to schedule a 'Bridge' to do this?

Interested to understand how the smarts work - as the phone is really just a semi smart device at the end of the network

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
How do you do a multiparty call ie- bring in all 3 locations via video on one cal...do you need to schedule a 'Bridge' to do this?

Interested to understand how the smarts work - as the phone is really just a semi smart device at the end of the network
honestly have never tried 3 location in one video call - we just use it from point to point!

Recently started using ipads at each location as there are telehealth item numbers for us to use and the facetime is quite good/clear too! As long as there's wifi at each of the premises.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!