Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Don't agree to connect, simple.
But you may be able to identify some who you may be interested in.
You can see their profile before you agree.

Getting too many to screen - that's the point.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Four years since the start of this thread I'm still completely oblivious to the point of of LinkedIn, or why it's actually sullied forth and become something big.

I still don't get what service they offer.

MHH presents the perfect example - he's head of a whatever corporation, but doesn't give a crap and will never read about all the people "adding" him to their profile or whatever happens, he just wants it automated - whereas many folk say the point of getting in on LI is that you "connect" with people in power.

How is this stuff actually successful?

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Anything you report there is on everyone's feed, if its interesting enough it will be brought to their notice so it's a way of being in touch with those that could be useful to you.
Bit like Facebook for business...

Offline app

Argh, got to love the mods merging a topic when you write a response and lose it. :doh:

I'll try and recall what I wrote.

I signed up to LinkedIn around 8 months ago. When I started I was logging in regularly to see who was connecting with who and who's switched jobs etc. But this was due to being new to LinkedIn and I'm doing it less now.

I'm not sure I understand the model and I do think it is simplistic to say it is for recruiting. IMO, from what I've seen, people are using it as a too to develop their presence in their work or industry by connecting with the right people, especially high profile people, even if they have had little or no association with them.

Although it has been interesting being contacted by recruiters regarding jobs in my industry.

Offline TEZZA

• Those Frenchies seek him everywhere

• Drives: No matter what it is I am still lusting after something better.

Linkedin.....

Guys I don't get it.
But then again I don't get Face/stalkerbook either.
I don't suffer from Narcissism, which I think a lot of this "look at me" shit panders to.

I guess it depends on your target market.
If it is basically "anyone breathing", then a shotgun approach is OK.
But if you are more targeted then I don't see any benefit.

There are more subtle ways to get your message across.

Offline 98octane

LinkedIn is mostly annoying. I get heaps of cold calls and invitations from recruiters through it. But occasionally I find out interesting things about past colleagues etc.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Argh, got to love the mods merging a topic when you write a response and lose it. :doh:

Sorry 'bout that. :D

Guys I don't get it.
But then again I don't get Face/stalkerbook either.
I don't suffer from Narcissism, which I think a lot of this "look at me" shit panders to

Note - this thread predates most of what Twitter has become in the mean-time, and as far as I can tell apart from some interface tweaks Facepalmbook is the same (mostly) stupid thing I stopped paying attention to (but occasionally paid dues to) about the same time.

FWIW, I actually think LI has a legitimate place. FB *should* be the personal daily meanderings of, well, crap that happens, seen by persons, known to the person. Twitter is just random garbage that your mind thinks and you don't have anyone to say it to, sometimes it's interesting, and occasionally you make friends out of it.

LinkedIn...? :confused: I get the idea - they want to create a "professional" social media space, but so far by all reports I get from people I know this is a massive fail.

The thing I REALLY want to know is why this is successful, despite what we can actually see.

...occasionally I find out interesting things about past colleagues etc.

^^^ Is that the answer?

Online anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
LinkedIn for me has been a great way to find some old friends that I lost contact with. Ive also been able to contact some industry people that I was unable to find a contact for as well, but Ive used it maybe twice in the last two years. I did have six messages waiting for me when I looked a couple of weeks ago though.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
LinkedIn for me has been a great way to find some old friends that I lost contact with.

I find this interesting, people always go on about "reconnecting" with lost/old friends...   Who gives a rats ass, IMO if the friend is lost then keep them lost, there is a reason you didn't stay in touch.
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

LinkedIn for me has been a great way to find some old friends that I lost contact with.

Right now I have a White Pages on my doorstep which would have done the same thing if I gave a shit.

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! mondi Today at 10:44
[ Racing ] Lola Larousse LC88 Steve. Today at 10:26
[ McLaren ] 675 LT Spider mhh Today at 10:25
[ Cars ] Supercar dealer article UK JBO Yesterday at 21:35
[ Cars ] Spotted thread Alpinem3e92 Yesterday at 16:24
[ Racing ] 2017 Formula 1 Tipping game mondi Yesterday at 10:27
[ Racing ] Seeking photos of Brian Ginger - died in 1993 London-Sydney Marathon Chicky01 Sat, 25 Mar, 2017 - 17:38
[ Ferrari ] 812 Superfast shack Sat, 25 Mar, 2017 - 16:57
[ Racing ] Australian GT series dkabab Sat, 25 Mar, 2017 - 13:32
[ Off Topic ] Real Estate 360c Sat, 25 Mar, 2017 - 11:48