Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Facebook, LinkedIn all life/time sucking apps
Only have a private FB account as you have to have one to support a  business page.

The personal page keeps me in touch with people i'd lost touch with but you have to wonder whether that's a good thing or not. Its false in a way, if you lose touch its for a reason and it should make way for new friends.

It does appeal to a part of the human psyche and therefore works.

LinkedIn is useful if used correctly but not sure why some high profile people have 500 plus contacts.

But both are time consumers and there's not enough of that as it is .

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Getting too many to screen - that's the point.

Hard to know if its of any use to you without knowing what you do, if it's recruitment it could be useful but you need to be able to filter the useful ones out, get someone in the office to do it.
Only connect with the interesting ones.
Disconnect from those no longer of interest.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Hard to know if its of any use to you without knowing what you do, if it's recruitment it could be useful but you need to be able to filter the useful ones out, get someone in the office to do it.
Only connect with the interesting ones.
Disconnect from those no longer of interest.

I've got about 1200 contacts, most of whom I've never heard of.  My colleagues have more.  It would take weeks to purge my list.  I think I'll just close the account. Anyone I need to talk to in life has a telephone and an email address.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I've got about 1200 contacts, most of whom I've never heard of.  My colleagues have more.  It would take weeks to purge my list.  I think I'll just close the account. Anyone I need to talk to in life has a telephone and an email address.

If its of no real use to you close it down for sure.
You can always open another one later if need be but next time get help to set it up to make sure you don't get into the same mess again.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

The remove connections tab is not visible on IPad.........

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

How did you get 1200 connections ? You must have accepted them all manually, cant you just look at then before you ok ?
You can unconnect in bulk by just checking the boxes and unconnecting all those checked, wouldn't take long at all.

Now on the PC - IPad is great but nothing beats a PC and keyboard for ease of use.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

the last time I looked at Linkedin is when I did a google search on someone wha owed ( and still does) several thousand dollars.  All I could read was how fantastic and successful he was yet on the same google search page there were several links to ASICS investigations into him for swindling investors of huge amounts of money.  He's now somewhere overseas doing the same thing.

So, how does it help recruitment if people  like the above can have an obviously falsely glowing linkedin profile?

And just yesterday I received a Linkedin invite from my gyprock supplier  :doh:

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
I have an account, I dont log into it
it spams me a lot with made up things that claim to be from my connections but are actually auto generated by the site

this is very annoying and somewhat misleading, when you receive an email from fred smith via linkedin you would expect fred wanted you to be emailed, in reality fred hasnt logged in either

However, does it actually work for finding jobs? I mean beyond call centre / low end sales or whatever other jobs young people jump between week to week.

If it does, maybe I should update mine, I get the impression I am about to be looking for a job for the first time in my life.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I have an account, I dont log into it
it spams me a lot with made up things that claim to be from my connections but are actually auto generated by the site

this is very annoying and somewhat misleading, when you receive an email from fred smith via linkedin you would expect fred wanted you to be emailed, in reality fred hasnt logged in either

However, does it actually work for finding jobs? I mean beyond call centre / low end sales or whatever other jobs young people jump between week to week.

If it does, maybe I should update mine, I get the impression I am about to be looking for a job for the first time in my life.

I think it does work, so many people use it for exactly that and not low end jobs either.

Update your profile find people you would like to see you and try to connect.

I've noticed many people update their skills or update anything as that goes in the news feed and brings you to the attention of those you're connected to.

I've connected with some people who, if my next project works out, will fund me to live in Monaco and have a
Veyron in the garage.

Offline Paulstar

I've gotten jobs & job offers from LinkedIN. I don't interact with it very much at all just being on and periodically updating it is enough.  :thumbsup:

Lately they've been sending me marketing emails for LinkedIN ads, LinkedIN premium - not bothering with anything of the sort now tho linkedIN ads should be interesting for targeting people within businesses in specific positions.

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Cars ] Spotted thread scud Today at 09:56
[ Off Topic ] Aussie Politics 360c Today at 09:51
[ Cars ] Underground Parking at Home 360c Today at 09:44
[ Ferrari ] Australian Delivered 308GTB 'glass Aircon Today at 08:01