Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
I just upgraded my 5-year old MBP for the new 15" retina model.

Given that I've come from a 2.2GHz Core 2 with 2GB RAM - moving to a 2.3GHz i7 with 8GB RAM was bound to be a step up... but holy crap I love this thing. The screen is pretty amazing.

You can run it a 1440x900 @ retina res (so you can't see the pixels) but I'm running at 1920x1200 for extra screen realestate and it is as sharp as a tack.

It's light and thin - has no optical drive, which has slowed down my output of 80's mix discs for the BMW... but that's probably not a bad thing. Battery life is fine and so far no performance probs running multiple CS6 apps at once (LR, PS, DW, Outlook, ID, Firefox - all humming along together nice and speedy). 2.6GHz version comes with 16GB RAM but is $700 more, so was outside the budget.

Only bad thing - it's a locked box. You can't upgrade RAM or Flash storage (256GB) after purchase. Smart money would have been to spec it out at least to 16GB RAM... but compared to the old one, this is a rocket ship so it's a moot point.

Thumbs up from me.

Offline dkabab

No need for huge RAM. 8 is more than you'll need.

Offline blackr35

Apples are beginning to shit me. From not being able to use my iphone as a portable drive, to Apple's need to store photos by face/place/date (anything except named fucking folders), inconsistent syncing, buggy apps, daft interfaces...I'm thinking of going back to Windows and Android.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
Apples are beginning to shit me. From not being able to use my iphone as a portable drive, to Apple's need to store photos by face/place/date (anything except named fucking folders), inconsistent syncing, buggy apps, daft interfaces...I'm thinking of going back to Windows and Android.

Jailbreak it...
You can say I'm wrong, but my garage doesn't agree with that statement!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

You'll wonder why you ever left... :doh:

Offline blackr35

As someone who last slept with Windows in the XP era, what's changed? I've read the reviews of the Samsung Galaxy 3s and although they are generally positive, there seem to be some thoughts that it is a bit more laggy than the iphone - I'm not sure whether this is fanboy BS. I've also invested a fair bit of time and money into Apple...
- I have a Macbook Pro, iphone 4S, ipad3, ipods, airport express and pro
- Wife has Macbook Air, ipad, ipods
- lots of apps/itunes content.
Has anyone used the easy sync app on android to transfer their apple stuff to the samsung?

Offline dkabab

I use an iPhone because it just works!
I use a windows pc for the same reason.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I use an iPhone because it just works!

Two years ago - one even - I was still recommending iPhone over Android due to simplicity of getting into for non-geeks, but that's all changed now, Android is at least as easy to use as iPhone straight from the box now, probably easier as you don't need to futz with stupid iTunes and other Apple idiocy - everything just works independent of anything else. Although having said that I do have an account with Google, which probably makes things easier for syncing without thinking.

The only thing I think iPhone has going for it now is form factor and general polish, I love the way it feels and it's the perfect size, for some reason every high-end Android phone thinks it needs to be able to be used as a cinema experience, I wish the phones would get smaller, not bigger.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Android has definitely caught up to iOS for phones, but I'm not so sure about tablets. I have both a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and an iPad 3, and the iPad was infinitely easier to use out of the box.

I had to spend a fair while hacking and tweaking the Galaxy Tab to make it usable - it was slow, laggy, and not particularly easy to use. Now it's running a new kernel with an overclock, a new version of the operating system with some tweaked applications, and it's great. Most people wouldn't bother doing all that though...

Offline dkabab

Two years ago - one even - I was still recommending iPhone over Android due to simplicity of getting into for non-geeks, but that's all changed now, Android is at least as easy to use as iPhone straight from the box now, probably easier as you don't need to futz with stupid iTunes and other Apple idiocy - everything just works independent of anything else. Although having said that I do have an account with Google, which probably makes things easier for syncing without thinking.

The only thing I think iPhone has going for it now is form factor and general polish, I love the way it feels and it's the perfect size, for some reason every high-end Android phone thinks it needs to be able to be used as a cinema experience, I wish the phones would get smaller, not bigger.

want vs need.

i don't need something customisable... i need something easy to use out of the box that works.
i haven't really tried android, and i have nothing against it, but for me, i am never lacking anything on the iphone.

i think i have maybe 10 non standard apps on my phone, the only ones i actually use are facebook, ebay, imdb, carsales.... i think thats it.