Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
I'm happy as a clam being an Apple fanboy. I have no urge to push the hardware beyond what it can do out of the Apple box - I just don't have the time.

iOS integration with the AppleTV combined with a 3-year old means she can 'push' content from the iPad to the TV without needing a parent to help - that's worth more than any extra functionality a non-Apple device can provide.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I am going Caveman with Technology as well.......

:p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
want vs need.

i don't need something customisable... i need something easy to use out of the box that works.
i haven't really tried android, and i have nothing against it, but for me, i am never lacking anything on the iphone.

That's what I was saying - right out of the box an Android is perfectly usable by a n00b nowadays, the customisability and no need to deal with Apple's 'tardware is just a bonus. For someone who is already ensconced in the Apple world and has their stuff there and doesn't want anything beyond what Apple offer - I'd tell them to stick with it. For anyone else, it's best not to get caught up in investing in the Apple cult. Google may oneday be as closed/proprietary/annoying - but right now the choice between two "evils", Google wins out until another player comes along.

Offline viso

I just upgraded my 5-year old MBP for the new 15" retina model.

Given that I've come from a 2.2GHz Core 2 with 2GB RAM - moving to a 2.3GHz i7 with 8GB RAM was bound to be a step up... but holy crap I love this thing. The screen is pretty amazing.

You can run it a 1440x900 @ retina res (so you can't see the pixels) but I'm running at 1920x1200 for extra screen realestate and it is as sharp as a tack.

It's light and thin - has no optical drive, which has slowed down my output of 80's mix discs for the BMW... but that's probably not a bad thing. Battery life is fine and so far no performance probs running multiple CS6 apps at once (LR, PS, DW, Outlook, ID, Firefox - all humming along together nice and speedy). 2.6GHz version comes with 16GB RAM but is $700 more, so was outside the budget.

Only bad thing - it's a locked box. You can't upgrade RAM or Flash storage (256GB) after purchase. Smart money would have been to spec it out at least to 16GB RAM... but compared to the old one, this is a rocket ship so it's a moot point.

Thumbs up from me.

glad you like it!
mine is supposed to be showing up tomorrow morning, i got the upgraded spec so it comes with the 2.6GHZ i7, 512 GB SSD and 8GB RAM
havent seen one in the flesh yet so hopefully it lives up to my expectations  :thumbsup: