Offline calais

• Drives: WRX
Thanks for the advice. I've ordered a new battery online as I'm sure the existing one is well and truly shagged (Cycle count: 457  Condition: Poor).

I'll also have a trawl through the apple support site. Hopefully I'll find some other useful information, like how to improve the performance as this appears to be suffering. Is there an equivalent to hard drive defragmenting for Macs?

Offline dkabab

not sure why it would be the battery.... not that im a tech expert, but at work we display all our laptops without a battery in them running straight off the power lead.
if you're computer is shutting down with the lead attached, its not running out of power.

Offline Paulstar

I'm having a shit of a time with this Mac, all I want to do is copy the folders of stuff to another hard drive but I can't find anything like Explorer to just browse the bloody hard drive - everything is dumbed down or fancied up to the point where even I can't figger out where the hell my files actually are!  :irked:  I've found an export facility in the photo-editing suite, but that exports them and "touches" them so it changes the file date, and it only exports pictures not videos, and you have to specify new folders each time and I'm getting the shits.  It's really good for just using the way they want you to, but for someone with about 20 years of in-depth knowledge of operating systems who wants to play at the lower levels...  sheesh.

:doh: :doh: :doh: Sounds like my first day of working in a place furnished with macs...i didnt have 20yrs experience behind me though  :tilt:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
:doh: :doh: :doh: Sounds like my first day of working in a place furnished with macs...i didnt have 20yrs experience behind me though  :tilt:

It never made sense to me to hide all that stuff and make it so difficult to use - for a "power user", their market is a little more simplistic.

This:

The problem I'm having is it randomly shuts down during use, by shut down I mean it is as if the power cable has been removed with no battery attached.

Mine started doing this about a year ago - the best remedy I found in the end was to leave it in a storage cupboard.  I can honestly say my Mac hasn't given me any frustration since then.

Offline Paulstar

It never made sense to me to hide all that stuff and make it so difficult to use - for a "power user", their market is a little more simplistic.

I would have made some poor mac fan boys cry that first few days. Two 21in screens with a HUGE tower, wireless everything and a sweet track-pad at my disposal and im tapping away at my 12.1in laptop  :D I;ve sorted it out now and just hoping I don't become a convert  :scared:

Offline CortinaD

not sure why it would be the battery.... not that im a tech expert, but at work we display all our laptops without a battery in them running straight off the power lead.
if you're computer is shutting down with the lead attached, its not running out of power.

When the batteries get really bad they will cause random problems like this and removing them fixes it. It might not be his solution but the battery is definitely well past its use by date.

Offline CortinaD

Thanks for the diagnosis Doc. It looks like I have done extremely well with the life of this battery but it's definitely time to move on.

It seems the MacBooks have a pretty poor reputation for battery life and replacements aren't cheap... best price I can find is $199.

Any thoughts on virus protection software? What do you run?

I have the firewall turned on, sit behind a router thats locked down and do my browsing through a few proxies so I don't have any AV installed.