Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Ash - that's the 2nd to latest system and is pretty stable.
Yell out if you get stuck or need a hand with anything.
J

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Yeah well I only bought it 2 weeks ago so I hope it's up to date!  Still getting used to stuff, frankly the thing I need most right now is Picasa for the Ferrari photos I haven't finished yet as iPhoto just doesn't seem up to snuff in comparison.

Is there anything else good for fast and slick photo post-processing?  I don't do much to them, but for what I do Picasa is a superb tool, I only realise how great it is when I'm forced to use something else. :(

Oh, and an FTP tool, I usually upload en-masse via the XP Publishing Wizard which works great, but now I have to do it the old fashioned way. :?

Otherwise despite my bitching I *am* loving a lot of what the McAsh has to offer. :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The iMovie tool btw is tops! :thumbsup:

Previously I'd use VirtualDub for simple cut-n-paste style editing, or Adobe Premiere for in-depth stuff with lots of effects and sounds and transitions etc.  iMovie is the easiest program I've ever used, and produces great results for little effort - I won't need Premiere again until I want to do something really creative.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok, a couple more things...

Is there a "DELETE" button?  The button which is used for backspace has delete written on it, but it "backspaces", I want a delete button.

Also, I know it's useless now, but I think the inch or so below where the keyboard ends and the mousepad starts is a complete waste of space, when typing you lean on maybe half of that area, you could fit half a dozen custom-use buttons either side of the mousepad so when you're mousing you don't have to reach to the top of the keyboard for F10, or perhaps assign a key to copy and another to paste... I have several others that I use frequently where I'd rather not move my hand from the "mouse" but have to because of the keyboard layout.

btw, how grimy do these things get?  They look awesome in white, but I was at work today doing my weekly scraping of grime from the mouse and it occurred to me that i;m glad they don't make them in beige anymore...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I should point out a couple more things I love... The F9 and F10 keys, I think it's called "Expose" or something...  for non Mac'ians it's like an awesome version of Alt-Tab.  You hit F9 and everything zooms out to show every application you have open instantly, if you hit F10 it zooms out to show every window within the current application, very very cool.

However, this is another thing I would love on a speed-button next to the mouse, shame you have to reach to get to it... sounds fickle, but when you are like me and swapping applications between like photo editing apps and uploading apps and browser apps and textpad etc, you get tired of stopping the flow of motion.  It's kind of like driving a great section of road, but every 2 minutes having to pull over and take off again - just like owning a Fiat!!! :(

Plus, is there a simple Alt-Tab alternative for the Mac?  ie, I want to with a single keystroke switch back to the last application I was using - that would be massively useful rather than selecting the application from it's zoomed out representation.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok, Safari time!  (Safari is the browser - like IE/FF)

It works pretty good, I'm pleased that even this website complies for the most part, I notice the user-bar on the left where avatars are shown needs to be widened by 15-20 pixels but otherwise so far so good.

It's prettier than other browsers. :)

I'm missing the F11 full-screen feature though... wtf??  I've made extensive use of slideshows which are best enjoyed in full-screen but you can't do that. :?

For eg I went to the Crackenback page to see how a high-res slideshow looks on this little baby, but it looks crap because I can't maximise it so it's just a little pic inside a black border with all these other things around it and a bit fat bar down the bottom. :( :(  I want to enjoy it in full screen goodness like I designed it for dammit!!!

Offline Jamezilla

OK...

1. You are eligible for an OS upgrade to Leopard. Speak to your Apple shop and they will either give you the DVD or you can fill in a form (and pay $12.95 shipping) to get it sent to you. http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/uptodate/

2. iPhoto is good, but is really only a gallery tool. I make droplets/actions in Photoshop to do batch processing. What do you need to do?

3. Cyberduck is a pretty good free FTP tool http://cyberduck.ch/

4. If you like iMovie - you'll love Final Cut Pro. Send me an email as ah, I know a guy ;)

5. Hold the APPLE key and hit the delete/backspace key. This works in the Finder to delete files too.

6. You'll get used to the keyboard size and trackpad location. I find a Mac lappie much faster to use than a Windoze one :)

7. Yeah, my other half (can't say better - she's being a pain at the moment) has a black iBook and it gets filthy. Silver MacBook Pro FTW!

8. Expose is great. When running dual monitors it's so handy. F11 hides all applications and shows the desktop too.

9. I found using an external mouse with the side buttons (I have an MS Intellipoint one) really good for this - you can configure Expose in the System Preferences to be controlled via the mouse. But again, you'll get used to the the keyboard.

10. Yep, APPLE-Tab does the same as ALT-Tab

Hope this helps!
J

Offline Jamezilla

FYI - Safari is good, but download Firefox. It's better and generally more compatible.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

2. iPhoto is good, but is really only a gallery tool. I make droplets/actions in Photoshop to do batch processing. What do you need to do?

To be honest 90% of what I need to do I can do in iPhoto, it's just that Picasa does it better.  Most of my pics I crop just a little, about 75% I do minor adjustments to contrast (or shadows/highlights/whatever), 10% I change the colour temperature... especially when you're shooting deep colour subjects like A FRICKIN LOT OF FERRARIS the red can really really get oversaturated, or become an orange/pink colour, which requires a bit of modification.  And then maybe 5% of pics I get a bit more creative with and add a bit of focus/blur/sharpening/focusssed-desaturation because I'm bored. :)

5. Hold the APPLE key and hit the delete/backspace key. This works in the Finder to delete files too.

As it turns out it's actually the "fn" key on the far left, but your suggestion led me to try it... I'd still prefer a dedicated key.

9. I found using an external mouse with the side buttons (I have an MS Intellipoint one) really good for this - you can configure Expose in the System Preferences to be controlled via the mouse. But again, you'll get used to the the keyboard.

10. Yep, APPLE-Tab does the same as ALT-Tab

Excellent, thanks!!!  On my PC I use a mouse with a side thumby button which I've configured as "back" in the browser, immensely useful, I soooo miss it.  As an aside, I'm not sure whether I'm too drunk to figger out what's going on, but sometimes when performing certain actions Safari loses the history of the current browser window. :confused:  Eg I might be browsing pics on the gallery here, I open a hi-res version and close it again, and then the "back" button is disabled and I can't go to where I was in the gallery.  :?

Thanks heaps though!  I could have spent hours googling to find these tidbits. :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

FYI - Safari is good, but download Firefox. It's better and generally more compatible.

Wicked...  FF is all I use when I can, didn't know it came in a Mac flavour. :cool: