Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Hey Ash,

have you seen the MAC vs. PC ads? :D

Think I saw a couple - as with most ads pointless drivel.

The Mac is GREAT for 95% of what I do - given that 95% of my operations are web/browser based, it's that last 5% which is infinitely frustrating and would have been a dealbreaker had I known how difficult the simple things are.  Copying/moving files, modifying properties, filing structure, downloading/uploading, installing... all these things are where the Mac steps in and goes "why would you want to do that?".

It's not completely a PC biased thing, I grew up using computers for 10+ years before mice became a normal feature, and where getting into the dirty underbelly of the operating system was normal. 

For a car comparison - the Mac is like a modern car where you can't turn off TCS or ABS or ESP and they interfere with anything you do.  For the normal driver all those things are great, but sometimes you might want a bit more control.  The PC with XP is now on par with all of that, except you can still get in and switch it all off and do things exactly the way you want.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
The PC with XP is now on par with all of that, except you can still get in and switch it all off and do things exactly the way you want.

wait til you try vista! best OS i've ever used. (but it is power hungry...2gig ram is a must imo)

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

wait til you try vista! best OS i've ever used. (but it is power hungry...2gig ram is a must imo)

Yeah well, I'll wait until it's forced upon us at the office and then I can get paid to spend time working out the bits and pieces and getting acclimatised.

On the flip-side - I have a mate with a web design company and they all use and love Macs, and they're very good at it - they bring me in as a consultant when a client has something that is Microsoft based as it baffles them. :D  So obviously there's some features and application and stuff that I'm obviously missing on the Mac, I should spend some time with him watching how he operates his machine.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com

Kidding right?

I've been forced into it with recent new laptop, and Vista is seriously shitting me.  I've already found 3 major bugs without even trying, and its only been a few weeks.

I admit it would probably be good for beginners, but they've made it hard for a power user, taking away many useful keyboard shortcuts, forcing me to slow down and use the mouse. :scared:

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
On the flip-side - I have a mate with a web design company and they all use and love Macs, and they're very good at it - they bring me in as a consultant when a client has something that is Microsoft based as it baffles them. :D 

Same thing here!

But I no longer call on him to do browser compatibility testing on the Mac for me...  I found this instead:  http://www.browsrcamp.com

Offline Aircon

Kidding right?

I've been forced into it with recent new laptop, and Vista is seriously shitting me.  I've already found 3 major bugs without even trying, and its only been a few weeks.

I admit it would probably be good for beginners, but they've made it hard for a power user, taking away many useful keyboard shortcuts, forcing me to slow down and use the mouse. :scared:

really.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Exactly what I was saying.

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Ash - if you get stuck with anything Mac-wise, give me a yell.
All your concerns about file structure and apps are easy to address with a bit of 'oh, so thats how you do that...' - am happy to help.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Cool, well if you've got any pointers toward a decent file system utility that'd be great - it's my biggest single criticism.  And yes, I've searched, and I'm great at searching - but haven't found anything to ease my woes.

Windows explorer isn't the best, but it's so very easy to use.  I personally loved XTreeGold - but I doubt there's anything post 1992 that has that sort of capability.

Offline Aircon

I personally loved XTreeGold - but I doubt there's anything post 1992 that has that sort of capability.

lol

*memories*