Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Gah!  So far, this iMovie program is awesome!  I've done movie editing in dozens of different programs, none have been as easy to use or produce such great results so easily as in iMovie.  However, I went to get up and go get another drink so I thought I'd save my progress - and being so anal about versioning, I like to save versions...

Hmm, where's the save feature? :confused:

I am totally lost, I've done all this great work, but I can't find a way to save it! :?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

*sigh*

So, after all this time I've finished about 2 minutes of footage of the ACT relay, I "export" it from the Mac, which turns it into some freaky deaky M4V file... which of course NOTHING in windows can read.  FFS :rolleyes:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

OK I found an option to export to AVI format - only the default settings are for postage stamp size with 22khz sound...  I thought Mac was quality oriented? :confused:

Anyhoo, I futzed with the settings, and it's been exporting for about 6 minutes now...   

The editing part was a dream - very easy and very intuitive, and some really really cool features I've never seen elsewhere, but god damn getting the vid out of that dam little white box is the most difficult thing I've had to do in a long time! :irked:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok latest annoyance...  using "Finder" which appears to be the closest thing to a directory explorer, there's absolutely ZERO indication when you plug in a new hard drive.  It doesn't automatically update the drives available, you have to open a new window when you think it's recognised, because it doesn't give a visual indication that it's noticed anything new attached, and doesn't give any noise.  You just go and open another Finder window anywhere between 10 seconds and 5 minutes after you've plugged in the device and it will appear. :?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

On the other hand, the absolute millisecond it looks like you're unplugging something, it comes up with an angry little note saying you should "eject" it before unplugging it.  :rolleyes:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

On the other hand, the absolute millisecond it looks like you're unplugging something, it comes up with an angry little note saying you should "eject" it before unplugging it.  :rolleyes:

I knew a girl like that

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
Ash - when you plug in a new drive you will see them in the LHS of any Finder window or on the RHS of the desktop.
What OS version are you running? (go to the Apple in the top-left corner and select 'about this mac')

And yeah - you can't just yank stuff out. Is stupid, but you need to get used to that. Again - any removable drive including USB sticks and iPods will have  little eject symbol next to their name on the list on the top left of any Finder window.

As far as video exporting goes - download Flip4Mac from Microsoft's site to get AVI and WMV support out of Quicktime.

Anyhoo - feel free to bug me with any Mac queries.
James

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ash - when you plug in a new drive you will see them in the LHS of any Finder window or on the RHS of the desktop.

Well, I never saw or heard anything on the... maybe 20 times I've plugged a drive in so far...  In windows within 1-2 secs I hear a "der-duh!" to let me know something new is connected, and within 10 seconds a dialog pops up, or if I'm in explorer, the navigation tree visibly changes to show the new device.  On the Mac, I wait and wait and wait, opening new Finder window after another until the drive appears, often switching off and on the drive a couple times after 30 seconds of no result. 

I'll look closer at the screen next time maybe.

What OS version are you running?

It's brand new and is like Crouching Donkey Hidden Tiger 97.13 or something.  I'll look later.

And yeah - you can't just yank stuff out. Is stupid, but you need to get used to that. Again - any removable drive including USB sticks and iPods will have  little eject symbol next to their name on the list on the top left of any Finder window.

Nuh, I'll never get used to it.  Even Windows sometimes gives a little complaint about it saying you should eject it from the OS first - but I've never lost anything in many years of randomly plugging in/out.  What that means is I'm just waiting for my first catastrophic failure. :?

As far as video exporting goes - download Flip4Mac from Microsoft's site to get AVI and WMV support out of Quicktime.

I managed to export an AVI file in decent quality, by then I was too tired to upload it anywhere.

Thanks!

Offline Rat Boy

• 1158 : 143

It's brand new and is like Crouching Donkey Hidden Tiger 97.13 or something.  I'll look later.
You mean Leopard?  :p
Cheers>>Jack

If you're not wasted, the day is.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

What OS version are you running? (go to the Apple in the top-left corner and select 'about this mac')

btw, my desktop computer shat itself last night so now I'm relying on this mac thingy, hopefully it's just the power supply :?