Offline dkabab

this morning i got a phone call from paypal asking me to confirm a payment that had been made this morning on my account... for 543.70 Euros!

so i went on there and sure enough, it had been done. not sure how....

so they have put my account on hold and reversed the transaction.... but WTF?

i very rarely use paypal, maybe only twice in 3 years.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Best to contact your bank as well to let them know what's happened and they should add a security alert to your a/c for the moment. If the hacker has enough detail from your payal account to initiate a back transfer for funds, they may have enough to bluff though phone/internet banking for your account too. What a pain in the ar$e.
C'mon, do it!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Ooooohhhhh, that was for my Esprit parts!!!!!

Bugger!!!   :p

Offline dkabab

called my bank (the 1800 number) and got india.... :doh:
but it took me 3 tries to get through the verification myself, stupid phone banking password.
they told me that they couldnt do anything and that it was up to me to not hand out my password and details....  :eek:

might give my bank manager a call and see his take on things...
im pretty chuffed though that paypal called me.

Offline allanuber

Definitely get through to the bank mate. One of the guys who works for me has been though a similar odd scam, and the person 'claiming' to call with questions from an online service was actually the original hacker, who creatively managed to get a confirmed phone number and answers to personal questions as verification to their call. They got the same info, went to phone banking and pulled another 10K from our guy's account. Must say no-one expected the 'second hit'. Better to be safe than sorry, again what a pain!
C'mon, do it!

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Paypal is a great avenue for washing money.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline dkabab

just spoke to bank manager, they have put a hold on direct debits from paypal, and i have changed all my internet banking actions to allert me by SMS.... hopefully that will help.

Offline dkabab

well after all that... i checked my bank accounts today to see that it has debited the $980ish out of one of my accounts.
i called the bank and they are going to "investigate" even after i told them to block paypal...
then called paypal in some random country... to be told they will transfer the money back when they receive the money into their accounts. (btw, worst call centre ever)

so all up, should get the money back mid next week.

lucky for me it debited my visa debit account which has $0 in it most days of the week unless im making a purchase, so it doesnt really matter when i get the money put back in there cos its not really taken any of my money..... but if this happened to someone who relied on that much money to live... they're stuffed. not good enough IMO.

Offline allanuber

Bugger. At least you've spoken to the bank and pre-warned them, so there is a recourse in future. It's a pain in the ar$e, but worth asking to be put through to the fraud section of your bank now - hassle them and make sure it's all recorded.
C'mon, do it!

Offline dkabab

gets better.... so today i logged into paypal to see that the 980 was in my paypal account. so i called them to see if they had transfered it to my bank account. they told me it was up to me to transfer it back (not their problem). which i have now done, but if i hadnt asked the question... it wouldnt have been done. at least i got to vent some frustration from work on these call centres...

still no idea how someone has done this.... guess i never will either.