Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

My Year 12 daughter needs survey responses for a technology project she's doing.  If anyone can respond to these questions, it would be great.  Feel free to post in the thread or PM me.  Please say if you are an IT professional, student (tertiary or secondary), sheltered workshop employee/car spotter etc.  There are no right or wrong answers - just brief bullet-point opinions are all that's needed.

1.   How do you believe the development of technology over the past twenty years has shaped our society?

2.   What do you think have been the causes for this development in technology?

3.   What do you think have been the positive and negative implications for these changes?

4.   What new technology have you seen introduced over the past twenty years?

5.   What do you believe is the most popular form of technology in our modern day society? And in your view, what are the reasons for itís popularity?

6.   Do you believe that Apple partakes in planned obsolescence?

7.   How often do people upgrade their technological possessions? And what happens to out dated technology?

8.   Do you believe that our modern society places a greater value on their material possessions than they did in the past?

Hills ride in a 458 for a randomly chosen participant.  :)

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

My Year 12 daughter needs survey responses for a technology project she's doing.  If anyone can respond to these questions, it would be great.  Feel free to post in the thread or PM me.  Please say if you are an IT professional, student (tertiary or secondary), sheltered workshop employee/car spotter etc.  There are no right or wrong answers - just brief bullet-point opinions are all that's needed.

1.   How do you believe the development of technology over the past twenty years has shaped our society?

- The general populous has become smarter through the evolution of information sources and at the same time has become socially challenged compared to populations of 20-30 years ago again owing to the same technologies.  Our society has also become more fast paced because of these same technologies, smart phones and in car GPS's not only giving us directions but also telling us how long to get to our destination.  And then we have behemoths like Google and smaller companies such as Groupon feeding us ways to spend our money by collecting information based on our browsing habits creating a society which until recently has been freely spending.  The past 2 -3 years has seen the media spreading the word of a global financial crisis which has caused enough financial fear to curb societies spending which has occurred on a scale large enough to lead to a drop in real estate prices, a destruction in retail spending with a knock on effect of destroying business confidence and increasing job losses.

the causes...hmmmm...perhaps the desire of the advertising dollar and global dominance by large companies companies which push information and cheap technology

3.   What do you think have been the positive and negative implications for these changes?

Society has become more aware of environmental, social, science and political issues thought this awareness is only as qualified as the information technology they choose to access and believe and also limited by the individuals cognitive intelligence.  Also global borders have been lowered allowing smarter shopping, travel has become easier owing to the planning that the www allows us to do with ease.  Also our mindsets are no longer local -  but global, hence the overall effect of the GFC and the declining retail sector

The use of lasers in health care.   Access of information ( including GPS) on the run with smart phones.  Chip enhance passports making immigrations clearance easier at airports

5.   What do you believe is the most popular form of technology in our modern day society? And in your view, what are the reasons for itís popularity?

smart phones IMHO is by far and away the most powerful and popular form of technology in todays society.  The relative "cheapness", mobility and access to social networks and also the inherent power for current ( and future) technologies (such as ecommerce) have driven their popularity.

YES

7.   How often do people upgrade their technological possessions? And what happens to out dated technology?

I see technology as having a disposable life of between 2-5 years, smaller items such as smart phones have a 2 year life ( because of apples regular song and dance releases of new mobile devices and also the widespread use of "contract" periods including handsets offered by telcos) and larger items such as televisions and even cameras with a 5 year life.  As technology gets cheaper -  we seem to want to keep up with an "image"

8.   Do you believe that our modern society places a greater value on their material possessions than they did in the past?

a definite yes

saw the porsche delivering a nice sound on the way to Norton Summit

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thanks - and thanks to others for the PM's.  Keep 'em coming. :0

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars

Only have time for a few quick points sorry - hope they are useful

Technology has allowed the rapid expansion of knowledge & spread of knowledge, particularly through advances in materials, computers & communications. We are able to share information across wide distances faster & more easily. SMS/emails means we are able to obtain written responses from others in seconds. Digital recording & transmission allows events/photos/information to be sent similarly. High powered processing is available for nearly everyone, and the ability to build smaller computers with even greater ability to make faster & more calculations allows easier & faster research in all areas including health (such as mapping the genome) and engineering (materials designs), and communications - making mobile phones smaller and cheaper.
Health care technology is extending our lifespan, improving quality of life, allowing many to survive who otherwise would not, are allowing us to procreate when it might have not been possible, alter sex of children, cure diseases that could have wiped out larger groups.

Financial gain, military & financial geopolitical competition

Positives are more obvious. Some negatives include:
Some technologies such as antibiotics are helping create superbugs that are very hard to kill.
Availability of home computers/games etc alter our lifestyle choices. We used to play outside. Our children experience life on the iPads, phones, TVs, monitors. They get fat. Become allergic to things their parents would never have been. Nowadays we see multiple allergies that 20 years ago we rarely saw in school - such as eggs & nuts.
The legal/moral implications of technological advances are not developing at an equivalent rate.
There is room for misuse of technology - computers can be hacked/virus infected/trojaned, communications can be intercepted, biotech can create weapons, etc

Too many to list. Some big ones - SMS, genetic engineering, lap tops, smart phones, lasers in medical/dental, implants,

5.   What do you believe is the most popular form of technology in our modern day society? And in your view, what are the reasons for itís popularity? smartphones (and therefore computers as a whole) - easy access to entertainment and information at low cost

yes, as do all tech companies

some early adopters will upgrade when new tech available. Some outdated technology is sold to less advanced societies, or is disposed of.

Yes. Marketing, globalisation & easier spread of marketing messages and higher living costs (a house used to be less than 3x annual salary 20 years ago and is now 6-8 times annual salaries).

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Gee, the more you think about this one, the more you come up with

hydroponics and genetics making fruit and veg more available out of season and more resistant to bugs and climatic changes -  but at the expense of taste?

health technologies improving the health of people -  Lasyk corrective eye surgery, heart valve technology, pacemakers and pumps, prosthetics, pain killers, antibiotics -  but are these at a cost, and what is that cost?  our lifespans are increasing but is the quality of life improving ( enter euthenasia which is another technology in itself)

With technology we are being exposed to potential harm;
- carcinogenic: mobile phones, high voltage power lines, electrical smart meters -  or are all these brought on by a conspiracy spread by information technologies
- environmental:  halogen downlights and their potential to start house fires if not installed correctly
- nuclear energy: fukushima
- cheap highpower cars in the hands of inexperienced drivers

Also with the ease of the spread of propoganda via the www and other media sources public opinion can be influenced -  politics, career, health ( alternative medicine), mining companies buying media companies to spread their word.

other technologies which make life cheaper:
LED downlights, solar panels, efficient internal combustion motors, home insulation

MHH -  can you post your daughters assignment, this is an interesting subject.

Offline pku

Im typing a PM and all of a sudden I either think of stuff or read a reply that makes me feel like technology is passing me by instantly ... and I don't type that slow.

Offline DL599

• nee Melbourne Exotics

• Name: Damon
We are always told quotes are important in our text responses, I believe it was Charles duell that stated
"Everything that can be invented has been invented" - 1899.

I suppose this shows How unrestricted we are in developing technology and who knows what else can be invented, good or bad.
if your car feels safe, your not going fast enough

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Im typing a PM and all of a sudden I either think of stuff or read a reply that makes me feel like technology is passing me by instantly ... and I don't type that slow.

by the time you have finished typing the word technology - something else has been developed -  progress stops for nobody

Offline DL599

• nee Melbourne Exotics

• Name: Damon
Humanity has evolved beyond the thoughts of great inventors of the past, although with these inventions come negative implications, these implications have led to war, disease, disasters and we are ultimately inventing ourselves out of resources. In doing this we are running out of our precious goods that are vital in survival of the human race, we are also creating that thing called "global warming".
We have invented ways to extract resources from the depths of the earth and to detonate a bomb from the other side of the globe that can destroy an entire country.
With the growing population there is more need for the use of technology and a larger consumption of resources.
In conclusion we are literally inventing our way to death.
if your car feels safe, your not going fast enough

Offline Paulstar

Edit: IT Professional ;)

The development and proliferation of technology has made our society more aware and more empathetic to global issues be they financial, humanitarian or environmental. I beleive that now in contrast to twenty years ago the general populace feel more connected in a global sense partly due to the rise of technology and partly due to the implementation of that technology to more closely connect global economie. I beleive that it could also be argued that photosharing and the rise of social networking has caused us as a society to become more narcissistic.

I think business and the need for countries to continuely bolster and improve their defence capabilities and space programs to be the driving forces for technology development rather than the need to connect with long lost relatives or school friends via facebook.

Positive, there are many but I think the availability of medical treatment in impoverished third world countries to be a significant positive implication. In sharp contrast the relative ease of 'going-global' in the business sense is a profound positive implication for any business.

Negative, addicition to technology is a negative implication that I think doesn't get enough air time. People die / leave their children to die as they play computer games for days on end - socially I beleive this to be a serious issue. Advancements in weapons technology have us in a very precarious mexican stand off - good or bad? I beleive bad, of all the nuclear countries if anyone deploys we will all suffer.

The evoloution of the mobile phone to smart phone and now branching off into tablet form.

Information technology, more specifically the internet, more specifically the ability to trade data be that personal or business - around the world and across the room in the same amount of time.

I think they used too, I think at the moment the rate at which technology in terms of computing / smart phones / tablets advances it's no longer 'planned obsoloence' it's obsolete because their competitors are out there innovating and so they must also.

Depending on the person, often. Outdate technology from whta I've seen is a/ thrown in a draw b/ recycled c/ handed down or sold to a person not fussed with old tech . I think an important distinction to make here is that old tech these days is not like old tech 10 years ago. 'Old tech' today is still in many instaces 'good enough' but that's not enough to keep it in the hands of people who want something better or in Apples case something that is arguably better.

Hard to say, on the one hand Gen Z and Gen Y spend substantial amounts of money on travel and experiences which are non materialistic where as their parents would have typically saved their money for a house which could be deemed materialistic. I'd say the Gen X people that I know place the same amount of value on their material possessions as they used to.

Hills ride in a 458 for a randomly chosen participant.  :) Yes please it's totally worth the domestic flight ;)