Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Paulstar, thanks.  Any background on you so comments can go in the correct column?

Thanks everyone!  :)

Offline Paulstar

Paulstar, thanks.  Any background on you so comments can go in the correct column?

:doh: My bad it's edited now to say IT professional, let me know if you need more detail?

Thanks
Paul

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
1.   How do you believe the development of technology over the past twenty years has shaped our society?
We're now more reliant on technology than we've ever been including use of smartphones, use of technology in medicine including teleradiology, 3D CT scanners, MRIs.

2.   What do you think have been the causes for this development in technology?
Evolution and the constant need of human beings to improve and better what they have.

3.   What do you think have been the positive and negative implications for these changes?
Positive - faster and more efficient methods of doing things, processing billions of items in seconds.

Negative - dumbing down of society so much so that people don't know how to use their brains to think outside the square when their tech devices breakdown.

4.   What new technology have you seen introduced over the past twenty years?
Smartphones, laptop computers, digital radiology, 3D modelling etc

5.   What do you believe is the most popular form of technology in our modern day society? And in your view, what are the reasons for itís popularity?
Smartphones - the constant need for humans to communicate and technology taking the face to face aspect out of the equation

6.   Do you believe that Apple partakes in planned obsolescence?
definitely

7.   How often do people upgrade their technological possessions? And what happens to out dated technology?
depends - in my case - at least every 3 months I'm hunting for the next gadget
Chucked out, hoarded or ebay

8.   Do you believe that our modern society places a greater value on their material possessions than they did in the past?
not really - I don't think that material possessions are valued any more than they were 30-40 years ago.

For the record - my background is as a doctor - but I also am the IT coordinator for our 3 centres.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline CortinaD

Quote from: CortinaD
1.   How do you believe the development of technology over the past twenty years has shaped our society?
Education. IT has also opened up the worlds knowledge to anyone who wants it and this has changed the way we go about about solving problems as well as the perceptions held regarding what is expected of technology along with an entitlement by society to have ease of access to it.

2.   What do you think have been the causes for this development in technology?
Evolution and the passage time.

3.   What do you think have been the positive and negative implications for these changes?
There are too many to mention. We have new more efficient way of going about our day, such as GPS navigation, ease of communication etc aside from what others have mentioned, it also opens our horizon to a whole new world where people can find others with similar interests, or products and services that while possible before, now anyone can do it with ease.

At the same time lots of negatives and I think the biggest is privacy and the huge ethical issues around the data that is generated/collected by these devices (that we both know and do not know about) and what is happening with it. There are also social issues that are occurring because of this convergence of technology drive that has happened with everyone now "wired" with everything they want in one device 24/7, you can't even do anything now without seeing someone buried in their device in inappropriate settings (such as movies, dinner, walking around, lectures, interviews, meetings) etc.

4.   What new technology have you seen introduced over the past twenty years?
Lots, I have seen client/server computing go around full circle, new ideas come out like convergence and cloud computing that have seen things come of age like the smartphone and telecommuting.

5.   What do you believe is the most popular form of technology in our modern day society? And in your view, what are the reasons for itís popularity?
Smartphone. Partly due to the combination of the phone manufacturers having the device at a time where the telecommunications companies have the networks to support them and the advertising of them as a must have device for everyone. Previously these devices were unusable as they were standalone and didn't have the network to support them (including costly to use).

6.   Do you believe that Apple partakes in planned obsolescence?
Yes but on a more accelerated timeline.

7.   How often do people upgrade their technological possessions? And what happens to out dated technology?
Depends on the device. I think it is generally accepted that a mobile phone will last 2 years and then appear in landfill or someones draw if it cannot be reused. The desktop computer is replaced every 2-3 years for those that want the latest & greatest, can afford too, or have some need to upgrade due to the above, or 5 or years for the rest and most of the disposed ones will end up reused or recycled.

8.   Do you believe that our modern society places a greater value on their material possessions than they did in the past?
I believe so. You just have to look in the past when people lived without until they could afford and accepted that. Everyone now "needs" a McMansion, a TV in every room, a smartphone for everyone in the house, a european car, italian clothing & a swiss watch.

My background is in IT

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thanks everyone who participated in the survey. I've forwarded all responses to my girl who says thank you also. She now has enough to complete this part of the project.

Anyone who responded is welcome to a ride in the Ferrari - I don't need much of an excuse.:D  Of course, you've got to get to Adelaide first. Just let me know when is convenient. :)

Offline DL599

• nee Melbourne Exotics

• Name: Damon
Thanks everyone who participated in the survey. I've forwarded all responses to my girl who says thank you also. She now has enough to complete this part of the project.

Anyone who responded is welcome to a ride in the Ferrari - I don't need much of an excuse.:D  Of course, you've got to get to Adelaide first. Just let me know when is convenient. :)
Glad to help hope all goes well for her
if your car feels safe, your not going fast enough

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

is the invite open to my nephew

He'd be over the moon

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Thanks

I'll let him know and I'll try to coordinate some times

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Thanks

I'll let him know and I'll try to coordinate some times