Offline bbb

300V5A for those playing at home. Didn't do any homework so unsure if it's a reasonable deal, seems like it, dunno.

My rule for tech is never look up anything after I have bought it because you will always find someone bagging it out :-P

MSRP: $819
i-tech.com.au $975
shoppingexpress.com.au $951.50

Here it is apparently $699.95 after rebate etc blah blah.........I think you did well to walk in and get it for that price.

Offline bbb

Here it is apparently $699.95 after rebate etc blah blah.........I think you did well to walk in and get it for that price.

Woops link http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-series-3-300v5a/4014-3121_7-34840237.html

It was an American site I just realised so you did really well!! ;)

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Ash, I highly recommend using Ninite to install software - www.ninite.com, if you don't know about it already  :thumbsup:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ash, I highly recommend using Ninite to install software - www.ninite.com, if you don't know about it already  :thumbsup:

Yeah, was just on there but really there's not much I need apart from Chrome and Java and Flash, anything else I'll download as needed.

Offline j15

Iím in the same boat at the moment. I want a computer upgrade as mine is starting to be pretty slow, especially with photo editing and opening/browsing larger photo files.

The smart thing for me to do is get a laptop, but theyíre not as powerful as a desktop, right? The laptop would be handy as I need to upload photos on the spot for some jobs (though not too often). The only thing is that I really donít like working on a laptop so I probably prefer to get a new desktop instead and use the mrsí slow laptop when necessary.

Would it be best to get a desktop put together or buy a ready-made one?

Cel, Gary Bacon builds desktop PCs to spec - he can provide you with a list of options. I've bought a few off him. He can hook you up if need be.

Offline Steve.

• Drives: AMG.
  • Name: Steve
Yeah, was just on there but really there's not much I need apart from Chrome and Java and Flash, anything else I'll download as needed.

Fair enough. It's also very good at keeping things up to date - keep the installer and run it every so often and it'll automagically update whatever is included in the installer that you have installed on your system.

Not so useful for things like Chrome but I find it great for LibreOffice or Notepad++ or XnView or whatever...

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Fair enough. It's also very good at keeping things up to date - keep the installer and run it every so often and it'll automagically update whatever is included in the installer that you have installed on your system.

Not so useful for things like Chrome but I find it great for LibreOffice or Notepad++ or XnView or whatever...

I'm sick to death of updates - maybe because my old machine was WinXP, but EVERY SINGLE DAY it would tell me there are updates, and every second day it would require a reboot, hoping this isn't the case with Win7.

If there's a *serious* security risk then sure, otherwise if I'm happy with the current product I'd rather leave things as is.

Offline cel

Cel: consider a wacom tablet if you dont already have one
some info just in case you dont know what im talking about

http://photo.net/equipment/wacom/

Thanks, I haven't heard of those before, I'll look into it.

Cel, Gary Bacon builds desktop PCs to spec - he can provide you with a list of options. I've bought a few off him. He can hook you up if need be.

Ah yes, thanks for that, he's always been really helpful. I'll ask him about it  :thumbsup:

Offline dkabab

I had a look at the spec on my system at work. Pretty damn good deal.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I had a look at the spec on my system at work. Pretty damn good deal.

Cool, all the other i7's I saw were $1200-2500 but the latest evolution (like, 6 month product cycle), whereas mine is "last season's", plus with the 20% discount it fell right into what I was happy to pay.