Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Ok one thing that's pissing me off - I have a USB mouse plugged in so don't need the mousepad, how do I disable it because I keep accidentally activating it and causing it to fling the cursor somewhere in the middle of stuff when writing. :irked:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Ok one thing that's pissing me off - I have a USB mouse plugged in so don't need the mousepad, how do I disable it because I keep accidentally activating it and causing it to fling the cursor somewhere in the middle of stuff when writing. :irked:

Function F7 on this laptop, bound to be something similar on yours.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Function F7 on this laptop, bound to be something similar on yours.

F5!

Wow, AE came through quicker than Google. :D :cool:

Offline app

If you want portable, the new range of ultrabooks are great but start at 999 and go to 1999 for the top of range.
1.2kg, 8hr battery, solid state hdd, so pretty quick.

Otherwise in your standard 15" laptop range, $700 will get you something decent.

i5 processor
4gb of ram
500gb hdd

Fairly standard machine and can be had for under 600

What are good high range ultrabooks to get - i.e. $1,500 to $2,000?

Offline dkabab

What are good high range ultrabooks to get - i.e. $1,500 to $2,000?

samsung have got some nice ones out now, 3rd gen i7 (still dual core) but have them in 15" ultrabook, as opposed to the rest being 13"

i like the toshiba range, they are the thinnest and lightest of them all, and are the only ones with 3 usb, and an ethernet port.

all the i7 range are from 1500-1800ish, but what annoys me is the i7's they use are dual core and not quad.
i guess its no big issue for most people who buy them for business purposes, but im waiting for one to come out with some more grunt so i can use it for editing 80mb RAW files....

Offline app

My desktop PC has died after 3.5 years.

Now looking at a replacement and looking at ultra books. Everyone seems to be raving about them even though they only go up to 256GB HDD, don't have DVD drive, VGA ports etc (I know you can get a USB adaptor but still).

Considered dkababs comment and also went to a couple or shops. Apparently Samsung series 9 is one of the best and lightest ultra books. It looks amazing, but at $2k it is pretty dear. The guy at JBs said buy the previous model, for $1,200 or $1,400, which has windows 7 and pay $15 to upgrade to 8.

I like the idea and 15" screen is probably enough, but just not sure about the price and storage and the others limitations. I guess they are all fixable and I think the idea is to use USB 3 external drives and keep the essentials on there.

Decisions decisions...

Offline dkabab

Can't remember the last time I used a DVD, VGA etc...

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.

Considered dkababs comment and also went to a couple or shops. Apparently Samsung series 9 is one of the best and lightest ultra books. It looks amazing, but at $2k it is pretty dear. The guy at JBs said buy the previous model, for $1,200 or $1,400, which has windows 7 and pay $15 to upgrade to 8.

or better still, ask them if they can they install a copy of XP.  :tilt:

Offline Paulstar

Hey App, I have the 15" Samsung series 9 ultra book with windows 7 I bought it a week before the windows 8 machines were released last one in stock $900 but even at $1200 it's a good buy. I've gotten comments on how stylish it looks from people out and about but more than that it's a great performer and it doesn't get too hot the fans only kick in occasionally, the screen dims automatically depending on light conditions etc etc

With the low storage space, yes it's a bit annoying but the other qualities make up for that. I save all my documents on dropbox, I stream all the music and only have a handful of movies/episodes on the ultrabook's HDD with the rest on an external HDD.

I have the free drop box account but randomly get an extra 500mb here and there so I have 5.5gb of space on that and 1 terabyte on the external HDD i don't really NEED more HDD space with me.

This is turning into a rambling essay but one thing to consider, my external HDD can't handle files bigger than 5 or 7GB but I think that's because I've got it formatted to run on Mac AND PC. So, if you're constantly working with files that are 7gb or more AND you need to switch files between a Mac and a PC you may have issues.

Offline app

Can't remember the last time I used a DVD, VGA etc...

I borrow DVDs from Quickflix and prefer to watch them on my computer than the tv.

Well DVI cable. Plug the monitor in to get a bigger picture.

Hey App, I have the 15" Samsung series 9 ultra book with windows 7 I bought it a week before the windows 8 machines were released last one in stock $900 but even at $1200 it's a good buy. I've gotten comments on how stylish it looks from people out and about but more than that it's a great performer and it doesn't get too hot the fans only kick in occasionally, the screen dims automatically depending on light conditions etc etc

With the low storage space, yes it's a bit annoying but the other qualities make up for that. I save all my documents on dropbox, I stream all the music and only have a handful of movies/episodes on the ultrabook's HDD with the rest on an external HDD.

I have the free drop box account but randomly get an extra 500mb here and there so I have 5.5gb of space on that and 1 terabyte on the external HDD i don't really NEED more HDD space with me.

This is turning into a rambling essay but one thing to consider, my external HDD can't handle files bigger than 5 or 7GB but I think that's because I've got it formatted to run on Mac AND PC. So, if you're constantly working with files that are 7gb or more AND you need to switch files between a Mac and a PC you may have issues.

Cheers for that, that was great.

Where did you buy yours? Where they selling them cheap or did you talk the price down?