Offline Paulstar

First stop was the Samsung shop, they are not allowed to do deals. Second shop was JBHIFI in the city they dropped it to $1460 on the spot with an indication that if I said I'll buy that day he'll look to see what can be done, the next day casually dropped into another JB and they had the ultrabook I bought on display for $921 I said $900 and the guy said fine :)

Well DVI cable. Plug the monitor in to get a bigger picture.

Hey this is a good point, I plug my ultrabook into my big monitor I use a mini or micro HDMI cable to HDMI, you'll struggle to find a dongle to plug into a VGA monitor.

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

Hey this is a good point, I plug my ultrabook into my big monitor I use a mini or micro HDMI cable to HDMI, you'll struggle to find a dongle to plug into a VGA monitor.
There are VGA to HDMI cables/adapters on eBay for under $5.

With the low storage space, yes it's a bit annoying but the other qualities make up for that. I save all my documents on dropbox, I stream all the music and only have a handful of movies/episodes on the ultrabook's HDD with the rest on an external HDD.

I have the free drop box account but randomly get an extra 500mb here and there so I have 5.5gb of space on that and 1 terabyte on the external HDD i don't really NEED more HDD space with me.
You can get a 64gb SD card on eBay for $60 ($40 for a no-name brand; $150 for 128gb), that won't be as much of a hassle as USBs/external HDDs. Of course it won't dramatically increase storage space, but it's nice to have the extra space.

Offline Paulstar

There are VGA to HDMI cables/adapters on eBay for under $5.
You can get a 64gb SD card on eBay for $60 ($40 for a no-name brand; $150 for 128gb), that won't be as much of a hassle as USBs/external HDDs. Of course it won't dramatically increase storage space, but it's nice to have the extra space.

It's got to be a micro HDMI to VGA which I'm sure can be bought online if you're prepared to wait but none of the stores I went too (jaycar, jb-hifi, samsung) had it so I just got a micro HDMI to HDMI cable and that works. I didn't even consider SD cards ;) good idea

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

It's got to be a micro HDMI to VGA which I'm sure can be bought online if you're prepared to wait but none of the stores I went too (jaycar, jb-hifi, samsung) had it so I just got a micro HDMI to HDMI cable and that works. I didn't even consider SD cards ;) good idea
Those stores usually can't help past basic computer accessories. Try calling up MSY/NSCOM or a local computer repair shop next time you need something computer related.

Offline app

Ended up buying the Samsung series 9 15" with Windows 7. Despite the limitations of ultra books, I thought the benefit of having something light, powerful and easy to carry around was enough to buy it. Could only manage to get it for $1,300, he wouldn't reduce it - not even the display version he wanted to sell to me full price :rolleyes:

The Windows 8 version with 128GB extra storage was $700 extra. Nope, I'm right.

I'm sure with a couple of 2TB external drives and keeping the essentials on the ultra book I should be alright.

Offline Paulstar

$1300 is still a good deal, supposedly $1461 is the cost price. Congrats and enjoy!

Offline app

Probably not exactly the right thread, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop, but also bought Windows 8 as part of a $15 promotion.

Is it worth installing, or waiting until they iron out the bugs, or giving it a miss altogether? I'm told it's really for touch screen devices?

Offline dkabab

I've used it and don't like it, but others do. I wouldn't bother with it really

Online mtarone

Probably not exactly the right thread, but didn't want to start a new thread.

I have Windows 7 on my laptop, but also bought Windows 8 as part of a $15 promotion.

Is it worth installing, or waiting until they iron out the bugs, or giving it a miss altogether? I'm told it's really for touch screen devices?

There is not a lot of difference other than the "tiles" front end interface. I've used it a bit and I don't mind it, but I haven't upgraded yet - mainly due to being busy on other things, but i will.